Favicon refers to favicon.ico file which is an icon file of a website which appears in Favorites menu of the browser and the location bar as well.
How to Create a “Favicon.ico” File
- Create an image 16X16 pixels in size. Yes, it is really small and you can’t really draw much in it. You should also restrict yourself to the standard Windows 16 colours, although I suspect that 256 colours will work fine.
- You can as well go to this website – GraphicsGuru and generate a favicon.ico file yourself by just specifying your logo.
- Upload the favicon.ico file to your root folder and the web browsers will locate it themselves.
- If your hosting does not allow upload of .ico files, try to upload it as a gif or any other format file and then rename it to .ico
- if you have placed the favicon.ico in any other folder other than the root, then following code needs to be added in the <head> section of the web page
Just replace “/favicon.ico” in the above example with the actual location of your favicon.ico file.