If you have been following Technically Personal, you might have observed that there is a small change in the theme layout over the past 2 days.
Yeah! I have added a small news ticker on the right topbar (next to the logo). Technically, I can’t call it a ticker, since it “flashes” and doesn’t “tick”. Anyway, this small WordPress Plugin was custom built for TechPP by Stratos, who is so wonderful with WordPress, PHP, MySQL, jQuery and other related things. I gave him out the requirements and the idea, and he handed me the plugin within half a day!!
The idea is to utilize the prominent space which was going waste to advertise other “Related” posts on my blog and thereby reduce the bounce rate. Currently, the bounce rate of TechPP is not alarmingly high (it’s around 45-50%), but still there is a lot of scope to reduce it to say 35 – 40%. I thought a good way to do that is to have a News Ticker which keeps flashing the related posts at regular frequency.
I do not want to go into the details of the plugin, but would like to know the opinion of you guys. I request all those who are reading this post via RSS reader or eMail to visit the website, have a look and give some valuable inputs.
- Is it serving the purpose of advertising other related posts?
- If you had observed it before reading this post, was it catchy enough for you to click?
- The static text “also @ TechPP” is configurable. Can you suggest anything better?
- Any suggestions on improving the look and feel of the ticker?
- Any other place it can be put for better visibility and looks?
Your inputs will help us improve the plugin and if I see it being useful for others as well, I might even release the Plugin under GPL.