Apple has announced its updated version of iPhone OS, iPhone 3.1 at Apple Rock and Roll event. It is now available to iPod touch, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users. A good news for iPod Touch users is that they can also download iPhone 3.1 firmware for free.
The new firmware 3.1 includes a handful of new features and bug fixes. The most significant among those are highlighted below:
- Genius Recommendations for Apps
- Genius Mixes
- Download Ringtones Wirelessly
- Organize Apps in iTunes
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
Do not update your iPhone to OS 3.1 yet if it is jailbroken or unlocked. Wait for the new tools from the Dev-Team before updating your device or you may loose the capability to jailbreak or unlock your device in the future.
You can download & then install the new OS 3.1 by clicking on “check for update” button right from the iTunes software. Make sure you have the latest iTunes 9 installed in order to upgrade the OS to 3.1.
If you are looking for direct download links of iPhone OS 3.1 firmware for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS, find them below: