Amazon just released a free e-book reader application for Windows PCs. The Kindle for PC application allows Amazon customers to read Kindle books on their Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines. A Mac version will follow soon. Besides being capable of working with Amazon’s proprietary e-book format, the app can also display e-books in the .mobi file format.
Though it’s designed to supplement an actual Kindle device, no Kindle is required if you want to simply use the software and buy from Amazon’s Kindle store. After downloading the app from Amazon’s website, you’ll have to log in with your Amazon account in order to start using the software. You don’t have to create a special Kindle account to do this—any Amazon account will do.
Kindle for PC – Features
* Purchase, download and read hundreds of thousands of books available in the Kindle Store
* Read the beginning of any book for free before they buy
* Access their library of previously purchased Kindle books stored on Amazon’s servers for free
* Read books in full color including children’s books, cookbooks, travel books, textbooks and graphic novels
* Choose from more than 10 different font sizes and adjust words per line
* Add and automatically synchronize bookmarks and last page read
* View notes and highlights marked on Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone, and iPod touch
* Zoom in and out of text with a pinch of the fingers (Windows 7 users only)
* Turn pages with a finger swipe (available in a future release for Windows 7 users)