The iPhone Dev-Team has just released redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 2G. This comes soon after Apple released iPhone OS 3.1.3 which is a minor firmware update for iPhone 2G/3G/3GS, iPod Touch 2G/3G. Note that it is better to wait until iphone dev team update their tools to unlock and jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 firmware if you have iPhone 3G/3GS or iPod Touch 3G or 2G (newer models).
But then, the newly released redsn0w 0.9.4 can be used to jailbreak iPhone 2G 3.1.3 along with iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 2G. Do NOT update to iPhone 3.1.3 firmware yet if you want to preserve your unlock for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2G (new models) and iPod touch 3G. This is because the new iPhone 3.1.3 firmware updates baseband to 05.12.01 on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G which makes it impossible to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3GS and 3G.
You can follow the simple instructions as given in the earlier post to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 2G, jailbreak iPod 1G/2G (older models only) on 3.1.3 firmware. You can also jailbreak iPhone 3G with redsn0w 0.9.4 but doing so will make you loose your unlock.
Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with redsn0w 0.9.4
1. Update to original iPhone 3.1.3 firmware via iTunes. Downloading and installation instructions for iPhone 3.1.3 firmware can be found here.
2. Download redsn0w 0.9.4 from here [Win], and [Mac]
3. Start redsn0w 0.9.4 and point it to the respective original iPhone 3.1.2 firmware to proceed.
4. Select both “Install Cydia” and “Already pwned” options.
5. Connect your device in recovery mode by pressing the Power and buttons continuously.
6. Wait for redsn0w to complete jailbreaking.
Unlock iPhone 2G 3.1.3 with redsn0w 0.9.4
As mentioned before, unlocking works for iPhone 2G only.
7. Once you are done with the jailbreak, you can now unlock your iPhone 2G running jailbroken firmware 3.1.3 by using BootNeuter app from Cydia. Restart your iPhone and follow the straight-forward instructions appearing on the device to complete the unlock.
This article is for educative and research purpose only.