Following the successful launch of Apple iPad last week, more and more people are trying to cash in on iPad’s success, be it app developers or accessory manufacturers. Now Mac security specialist Intego has begun offering the first antivirus scanner capable of inspecting the iPad. It is hard to find a need for security scans on the device, but Intego insists that iPad malware might be here anytime.
From the developer site-
Only VirusBarrier X6 provides comprehensive protection from malware and network threats. VirusBarrier X6 is the only antivirus program for Mac that includes full anti-malware protection together with firewall, network protection, anti-phishing, anti-spyware features and more.
As you already know iPad runs the same OS as iPhones and only few jailbroken iPhones have been affected by malware till date. There have been no instance when a non-jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch getting affected by a malware or a trojan. Intego acknowledges there is no iPad malware to defend against as yet but argues it will be ready if and when the threat materializes.
VirusBarrier X6 Features
- Two-way firewall
- Antivandal and web threat protection
- Dynamic Code Monitoring
- Phishing protection
- New types of malware detected
- Fine-tuned scanning and security policies
- Performance control
- Detects and eliminates all known Mac viruses and malware
- Scans files for Windows and Unix viruses
- Protects against spyware and Trojan horses
- Protects against adware, hacker tools, dialers, keyloggers and more
- Repairs infected files
- Real-time and on-demand virus scanning
- Quarantine Zone to isolate infected files
- Trusted Zone to disable Real-Time scanning on selected files or folders
- Heuristic and behavioral analysis
- Blocks virus execution
Intego’s VirusBarrier X6 was promoted as the first anti-malware program to scan iPhones and iPod Touches. Now it gains the same bragging rights on the iPad. The iPad-capable 10.6.5 version of VirusBarrier X6 is available as a free upgrade to existing users. The software costs €59.95 for a license covering two devices.