All those Android lovers who were waiting with bated breath for Android 2.2 Froyo can breathe free now as Google has announced the brand new version of their Android OS at Google I/0 2010. Much like we had predicted, it comes with tons of new features and improvements over the previous Android 2.1 Éclair version, the main one being speed, as we previously reported, Android 2.2 is considerably faster than Android 2.1, according to Google it is around two to five times faster than the previous release. Here is a list of everything which is new to this release.
- 2 to 5 times better performance of Android on the same hardware!
- USB and Wi-Fi Internet Tethering.
- Microsoft Exchange integration including auto-discovery and remote wipe
- New services just as data backup APIs for carriers to move your data from one device to another
- New and improved browser.
- Compass support for Google Maps in the browser, no need to launch the Maps app anymore for compass support.
- Improved Google Voice Search, recognizes long and complicated sentences easily.
- Full Flash support in the web browser!
- Real-time language translation!
- V8 Codec support, a new standard for online media by Google.
- A widget that helps you search your Android device, apps for market and much more!
- Ability to search within app data.
- Improved crash reporting to developers.
- Over the air application downloading via non-mobile store version from any PC on to your device.
- Streaming your non-DRM home music library straight onto your Android device.
- Purchase your music over the air from a non mobile destination right onto your device.
- Install apps on your SD-card, finally it’s here!
- Auto-update apps!
- Car Docking!
- An improved Android market, buy your apps and games from the web Android Market and send them straight to your phone.
- Use voice gestures to trigger apps
Check out the official Android 2.2 video from Google below, which highlights the new features available in Android 2.2