Will Logitech Revue or Sony’s Google TV models work outside US, say in Canada, UK or India? Many of you might have this question. The answer is both YES and NO. More details below.
Google TV – Will it work outside USA?
From the Logitech website,
Logitech Revue with Google TV will work outside of the USA however, there are some limitations:
- The Quick Search Box will not yield any results for TV content. (i.e. if you type CNN into the Quick Search Box, the results will not indicate what is showing on CNN)
- You may not be able to access some of the apps based on your location (i.e. Netflix, Amazon VOD, Pandora)
Google TV – What will work outside US?
- Web access
- Able to connect an HDMI compatible set-top box
- Quick Search Box to see results for web and app content
- Apps like Logitech Media Player, Logitech Help Assistant, Logitech Vid HD, Twitter
For the starters, Google TV, the android based set-top box was launched amidst lot of fanfare early this month. In order to experience the Google TV goodness, you need to either buy Sony’s Internet TV or the standalone Logitech Revue.
Sony’s new Internet HDTVs sport 1080p edge-lit LED screens and are available in four sizes: 24-inch, 32-inch, 40-inch and 46-inch. The 24-inch model rings in at $599, while the 46-inch will cost you a hefty $1,399. Logitech Revue, the stand-alone version of Google TV costs $299.
Google TV will only be available in US this fall. We do not expect them to release it in other countries until next year. If you do not reside in US, this is not a good news but as we specified earlier, Google TV does work outside US but users will not experience the same Google TV experience until they have worked with local partners.
Buy Logictech Revue [Amazon]