Ever gone to work and realized that a report is still on your home computer? This problem would cost you precious time and effort. A simple solution to this is to remotely access your computer and get the files you need. This awesome feature can let you access any of your computer’s files from any other computer in the world that has an Internet connection. It sounds cool, right? But if you feel you are not up to the task, or that you do not have the right skills to accomplish this, stick around and keep reading, you might be surprised to find out that is more easier than setting up an email account.
Benefits of remote computer control
It’s pretty obvious that remote access allows you to access and control your computer from anywhere in the world.
- File transfer is a great plus provided by such services. If you are in need of a file that is stored on your home computer, by remote accessing it you can have that file in a few seconds.
- Check your IM with ease, by logging into your computer and viewing the desktop and the programs installed.
- Providing support for others is a great way to use Remote Access. IT specialists use this feature for simple tasks so they do not have to go to wherever they are needed, or to provide instant support from their desk to anywhere in the world.
- Setting up tasks on your home computer, like managing your Torrent query, or beginning a download for a movie, so when you get home, it’s there waiting for you.
- Using software installed on your computer. Although this would require a pretty fast network and it is a bit time consuming, you could manage to use programs like Photoshop or others remotely.
- Control a media server remotely.
How to set up a remote computer connection
The process is fairly simple. I will show you 3 ways to accomplish this task and it’s up to you on which you decide works best.
1. Using Dedicated Software
- VNC (Virtual Network Computing) – This method is as old as computer networking. What it means is that you use your personal computer as a server and connect to it as a client. Although not the easiest way to do it, it’s still used by many and it works great. Keep in mind that you do need some understanding of computer networks to set up a VNC network, but nowadays the process is much simplified than it used to. This type of connection allows cross platform connections from Windows computers to Macs and opposite.
If you are running a Windows PC, you will need to download a VNC client. I used TightVNC and it worked pretty good. After installing on both computers, all you have to do is start the viewer on the client PC (that is the one you are using to connect to your personal computer) and input the IP address of the server PC (the computer you are trying to connect to), input your credentials and you are all set.
For MacOSX users, the process is similar, but you will have to use the Vine VNC client. Of course, there are other VNC clients out there, and there is a VNC feature installed in Windows Vista or Windows 7, but I find it easier using these clients.
- TeamViewer is a well known screen sharing app that can let you connect remotely to any computer and use it like your own. Of course, there are lots of screen sharing apps that allow control over the remote computer, but TeamViewer is by far the most simple and easy to use of all.
2. Remote access website
I love this type of remote access because it lets you access your PC without installing anything on your client. All you need to do is install the software on your home computer and it’s all done. When you want to access it remotely, all you have to do is fire up your browser and log in to your PC from anywhere in the world.
- LogMeIn – This is my favorite remote access website. The client does not have to install any programs, only log in on the LogMeIn website and it’s done. Also, you have file sharing options and other useful tools at your disposal. Also, did I mention, it’s free!
- ShowMyPC – Is a Desktop sharing software ideal for those who want to access computers remotely, but it also proves very useful for video meetings. It’s very simple to set up and you have lots of customizable payment plans available.
3. Remote control your PC with your smartphone
I’m sure you are familiar with apps that allow you remotely connect to your PC and use it via your smartphone or tablet. These apps are great because they offer you great control over your PC, allowing you to use programs like Microsoft Office remotely and with great ease. Just to name a few that allow you to accomplish this task:
They work very well and they will let you control your PC effortlessly from your smartphone or tablet.
Related Article: Access Your PC from iPad with AlwaysOnPC
Controlling your computer from anywhere lets you enjoy the freedom of having all your files anywhere you go. No need for external hard drives or having to send files over email. Remote controlling your computer is the ultimate cloud storage, but without the cloud.