As you know, a little while back Samsung has released the mighty Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet. An impressive device by all standards, with lots of new features and of course, with a lot of horsepower under the hood. But, of course, like every other Android Device out there, what makes it better is the possibility to root it and enjoy lots of great apps. Also, later on we’ll see lots of custom ROMs and kernels popping up, so stay tuned to see the best the developers have to offer.
For now, let’s take a look at how to root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and the process is somehow different from the other guide for rooting Ice Cream Sandwich Android devices. Here we’ll show you how to do this using Odin. If you ever flashed a ROM before, then Odin is a familiar name, if not, this program will allow you to install custom recovery files on your device (smartphone or tablet) and custom ROMs.
What will you need
- The SDK driver for the SG Note 10.1 installed on your computer
- Odin Software
- Recovery Image and SuperUser App
- About 5-10 minutes (it’s really simple)
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
The procedure to root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is fairly simple, actually (for the tech savvy), it is much simpler than other Android smartphones. Although, when the custom ROMs start showing up, the installation will be done in the exactly same manner. Now, let’s see how you can root your Galaxy Note 10.1:
- Download and Install the Drivers for the Galaxy note 10.1
- Download the Root files
- Download and Install the Odin program (this step is optional, a version of Odin can be found in the Root Files, do this only if you prefer another version of Odin)
- Open the Archive with the Root Files and copy the file “CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip” to your Note 10.1’s internal storage
- After doing this, press the Volume Up and the Power Button simultaneously, until the tablet closes. When prompted with a Warning Screen, hit Volume Up. After this, on your screen should be a “Downloading” message.
- Go back to your computer and open the Odin program. If you have installed the drivers successfully, a yellow box will be highlighted with the communication port, if not, reinstall the drivers. Also, very important is to close all the running processes of Samsung Kies.
- Click on “PDA” and a search box will open, browse to the folder of the Root Files and select the “HighOnAndroidCWMRecoveryGTN8000.tar”. After finding it, load it and click “Start”. Wait a few seconds for the process to complete and you should have ClockWork Recovery Mod installed on your tablet.
- The tablet will reboot. After it opens, you will have to enter the new Recovery Mod. For doing this, hold down Power and Volume Up buttons. When the Galaxy Note 10.1 shuts down, you will see the Galaxy Note logo, now release the Power button but keep holding down the Volume Up Button. You will now enter ClockWork Recovery, from where you will install the SuperUser App.
- In CW Recovery, go to “Install zip from SD card” -> “Choose zip from SD card”. Scroll down to the “CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip” you copied earlier and select it. Select “Yes” and wait for the update to flash. (Note: If the touch does not work properly, use the volume keys for scrolling and the Power Button for selecting)
- You are done! You can now enjoy a fully rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1!
When the developers start pushing out new ROMs, you will be able to do this with the ROM Manager App, available from the Google Play Store. But until then, you can safely root your devices using this method. You can check if the root was successful when you open the SuperUser app that should now be in your App Drawer, or by installing apps that require root, such as Titanium Backup.
The credit for rooting Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 goes to XDA Developers member zedomax, who has successfully integrated the SU app in the Note’s ROM. Great work! As you can see, the process for rooting this device is very simple if you follow the right steps, there are other methods but I think this is the simplest of all and it works just about any time! Just like with the Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone, the Galaxy Note 10.1 is a great gadget that offers users lots of features and power.
[Via] XDA Developers