The OwnFone is the first customized phone which can be designed by the user itself and which delivers the simplest of experiences, in almost any environment. This equipment should be the main option of choice for those too young or too old to use a regular smartphone, or for those who simply want to leave that Android 4.1 running beast at home, while going to the beach or up on a mountain.
Coming as the first–made-to-order mobile phone, the OwnFone can be designed starting from a simple shape on their official website and then customized according to the user needs. The buyer can pick between various colors and most important, it can choose how many contacts the device should store. Once assembled, the phone is delivered right at home and can be used without a long-term contract.
Why should you choose the OwnFone?
First of all, the OwnFone is a stylish, simple implementation of a regular phone which can be used with ease by kids, elders and regular users alike. Once arrived on the official website, the future buyer has to choose how many contacts he desires the phone to have (a maximum of 12, only), these contacts being then displayed on the front-facing side as permanent buttons. The number itself won’t appear, and the link between a contact name and their personal number will be stored at company’s headquarters.
The font and size used to build these buttons is clearly visible and cannot be misinterpreted in any way. Moreover, if the phone itself is stolen no one can access the numbers used, being a perfect choice for security-conscious persons.
Being a device which holds a maximum of twelve Name buttons, besides the already-implemented options to answer, end a call or adjust the volume, its robust design makes it the ideal choice while going to the beach or for a simple swim. Owners can leave their smartphone at home and divert all received calls onto OwnFone, while having a viable option to call their closest.
How to design the OwnFone?
The OwnFone has a curved candy-bar style form which is only 7mm thick and weights 40 grams. This will be the template from which all designs start, and here’s how to create your own model:
- Enter the official portal and choose the basic template of the phone, by picking how many names should the device incorporate (up to twelve).
- Now choose the color of the OwFone, from Pink, Blue, Green, Orange, Red and Black.
- The style of the device is almost the last pick, with customers being able to choose from a plain color, a custom pattern or even a personal image, such as a photo of a lake.
- The next step is to choose a name to be printed on the device (leaving this field empty will skip the option) and to tell the manufacturer if they should include an Emergency button (911) at the bottom of the phone.
- After linking all the contact names to the desired phone numbers, you will have to choose the Talk plans incorporated in the SIM. Three basic plans are available, and each minute used above the included limit will be taxed with 15 pennies /minute (as it is available only in UK, at the moment).
- £7.50 per month – 50 minute of calls
- £10 per month – 100 minute of calls
- £15 per month – 500 minute of calls
When completing all these details, you will have to fill a form with personal information, such as the bank name and the account number. Please note that the price of a terminal is £55, the contract can be canceled with a 30 days notice and without paying any penalizations and that changing the numbers is free, while a new button will set you back for an extra £5.
The OwnFone has a 12-months warranty and if the device is stolen, a replacement handset will be supplied for £35. Unfortunately, from what we’ve discovered so far, the terminal only works in UK. Hopefully, if the device sparks enough interest, it will be available worldwide.