Amazon has just announced Kindle Fire HD, which they claim to be the best tablet at ANY price. And their claim is backed by some impressive specs like 8.9″ HD display with 1920×1200 resolution, laminated touch sensor, new TI OMAP 4470 processor, 16GB internal storage, dual stereo speaker from Dolby, dual-band faster WiFi and more.
There are 3 versions of Kindle Fire HD which were announced today – 7″ 16GB, 8.9″ 16GB and 8.9″ 32GB. The 32GB version also comes with 4G LTE wireless support, which costs $49.99 per year!
Kindle Fire HD Specs
- 8.9-inch, 1920 x 1200 display at 254 ppi
- 8.8mm thick
- weighs 20 ounces
- OMAP 4470 processor
- 4G LTE
- Front facing HD camera
- Dolby Digital Plus Stereo speakers
- 5GHz/2.4GHz dual band wifi, with two antennae
- HDMI out
- Forked (Customized) Android 4.0 OS
Kindle Fire HD – Special Features
1. Dolby Digital Plus – Amazon has integrated dual stereo speakers from Dolby Digital Plus. I’ve personally experienced Dolby’s digital plus speakers on an ultrabook, and having similar experience on a tablet would be awesome.
2. Faster WiFi – Amazon claims that WiFi on Kindle Fire HD is almost 41% faster than iPad 3 & 54% faster than Nexus 7. This is because, the tablet comes with dual band (2.4GHz/5GHz) and dual antennae. Thanks to them and technology called MIMO, Amazon promises much reliable and faster WiFi experience on Kindle Fire HD.
3. Audiobooks & Whispersync for voice – Kindle Fire HD comes with 100,000 audiobooks from Audible. Whispersync for voice syncs your book with your audiobook, so you can listen and read in tandem. That’s a big win for readers.
4. Whispersync for games – Thanks to this, you would never need to start over a game just because you had to update or reinstall it. All your unlocked levels now gets stored!
Kindle Fire HD – Price & Availability
Kindle Fire HD will come in two versions – 7″ and 8.9″. Rest of the specs remain same. 7″ Kindle Fire HD will cost $199. Users can order starting today and it will ship on September 14th. The 8.9″ version will cost $299. It can also be ordered starting today and will ship on November 20th.
The 8.9″ Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE will come with 32GB internal memory and will cost $499, just same as 16GB WiFi only version of iPad 3. Now that’s a killer price! And for $49.99 per year, users will get 250MB a month data, 20GB of cloud storage and $10 Amazon credit. And again, you can pre-order today and the device will ship November 20th 2012.
Will people pay $100 more for a bigger tablet, comparable to iPad in size? Maybe. But this is how companies make money as we had shown you earlier. But then, with Amazon, things are little different as they make money selling content on the tablets they sell. Jeff Bezos made it very clear about it.
“We want to make money when people USE our devices, not when they BUY our devices.”
Photo credits: The Verge