Besides Toshiba and Asus, HP has also joined the future Windows 8 tablet and laptop rooster, by adding a few new computer models and an interesting tablet/hybrid. Some of these models have been formerly introduced wit Windows 7, but as many manufacturers do, HP has renewed their internal specifications and presented them as technical wonders.
While some of the products presented were already leaked or otherwise known until this moment, HP has formerly introduced them by precious details such as pricing and availability. Now let’s see what each product hides under the hood.
HP ENVY x2
The HP line-up of Windows 8 wonders starts with a classic tablet hybrid, known as ENVY x2. This one comes under the form of an aluminum sleek tablet that attaches itself to a stylish keyboard with the help of magnets. The hinging mechanism is so innovative, that the whole process is done in style. The light-weight tablet has an 11.6-inch wide screen with ultra viewing angles and bright, vivid performances. It’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use, even when the sun is up and shinning.
The device shocks with an 8-megapixel rear facing camera which is literally more than most smartphones come with, if we were to judge the quality by MPs. We are not sure yet to what purpose HP has built this feature inside the device, because taking pictures with a tablet is strange enough for a wide majority of users.
Another special feature built right-in the system is the Beats AudioTM technology, which is pretty fly for a tablet, and an optional stylus for those who wish to become more productive. Also, a range of special applications will be added, included one that lets pictures synchronize across devices and one that was built for listening music. Here’s the full breakdown:
- Processor: dual-core Intel Atom Z2760 clocked at 1.8 GHz
- OS: Windows 8, standard version
- Dimensions: 11.93×8.12×0.76 inch, weights around 3.11 lbs (1410 grams)
- Display: 11.6-inch wide Led-backlit IPS Display with 1366×768 pixel resolution and BrightView
- Storage: 64GB solid-state drive (SSD)
- Camera: 8-megapixel rear facing and a 1080p shooter on the front
- RAM: 2GB clocked at 533 MHz
- GPU: Intel Graphics
- Connectivity: USB 2.0, HDMI, SD slot for expansion, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC
- Specials: Beats speakers, track pad on the keyboard
HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook
The Spectre XT TouchSmart is HP’s answer to every Ultrabook seeker out there, at least from the promotional introduction. The device comes with a standard 15.6-inch monitor, which is way more than what most ultrabooks are offering at the moment and, fore some of us, it’s the ideal laptop size. Speaking about size, the Spectre XT has a slim body and weights a bit more than its hybrid sibling above.
The material used by HP to fabricate the ultrabook was aluminum once again, blended with a healthy doze of glass that stretches as wide as the device itself and a high-quality touchpad, also covered in glass. The Spectre XT TouchSmart was built also with Beats Audio technology and can be accounted as the first HP laptop which comes with Intel Thunderbolt technology for fast file transfers between the ultrabook and external devices. Speaking of speeds, the TouchSmart will come with a blazing process and a quality SSD, alongside a wide range of ports.
As special features, HP has included CoolSense technology for the cooling system, Imagepad for precise multifinger navigation, ProtectSmart for drive protection and TrueVision for the webcam. Also, some HP specific applications are included in the package, alongside a free one-year Absolute Data Protect and two years of Norton Internet Security and Anti-Theft protection from Intel. As a bonus, the device will come preloaded with Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere.
HP Spectre XT TouchSmart specs
- Display: 15.6-inch wide touchscreen LED with 1920×1080 pixel resolution
- OS: Windows 8, standard edition
- Processor: Intel Core i7 3610QM clocked at 2.3GHz
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT630M with 2GB of dedicated RAM
- Storage: 32GB SSD
- Dimensions: 17.9 mm thin, weighting 4.77 pounds (2.16kg)
- Connectivity: 2 ports with USB 3.0 and one with USB 2.0, SD slot, Wi-Fi, HDMI
- Camera: front-facing
- Availability: In December for $1400
Hp Envy TouchSmart Ultrabook 4
The Envy TouchSmart 4 is the modest version of the XT and comes with an 14-inch wide display and a bit more thick, heavy body. The model can be customized to include powerful graphics experience which combined with the solid-state storage and the impressive CPU should produce some waves in the market.
The Envy Touchsmart also includes HP specials such as CoolSense, ImagePad, ProtectSmart, Connected Photo, Music and Backup in the default package. Here’s the full specification sheet of a review unit:
- Dimensions: 23mm thick, weights 4.77 pounds
- Display: 14-inch wide LCD touchscreen with 1366×768 pixel resolution
- Processor: Intel Core i5-3317U clocked at 1.7 GHz
- RAM: 4GB
- GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (optional AMD-built with 2GB of dedicated RAM)
- Storage: 32GB SSD
- Battery: up to 8 hours
- Connectivity: USB 2.0 with secure lock and USB 3.0, HDMI, SD card
- Camera: 1-megapixel
- Specials: Beats audio