When was the last time we saw a tier-1 OEM releasing a ‘mini’ version of their flagship smartphone without compromising on its internal specifications? Sony has done just that with their new Xperia Z1 f smartphone, which is exactly same as their current flagship device, the Sony Xperia Z1, but for the screen size and resolution.
The oddly named Sony Xperia Z1 f comes with a (relatively) smaller 4.3-inch 720p (1280 x 720 pixels) Triluminous display with with X-Reality engine, and is powered by the same 2.2 GHz Snapdragon 800 processor we saw on the Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra. Sadly, it’ll still be running the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean out of the box. The camera, which was the highlight of Xperia Z1 remains the same with shooter with 20.7 MegaPixel Sony G lens on the rear and 2.2 MegaPixel snapper on the front.
The Xperia Z1 f will be thicker than Xperia Z1 at 9.4mm while weighing lesser at 140 grams. The design and looks are pretty much similar to what we had seen on Xperia Z1, with single Aluminum frame and tempered glass on the front and back. It will also be waterproof and dustproof like its parent handset.
Sony Xperia Z1 f Specifications
- 4.3-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) Triluminos Display with X-Reality for Mobiles
- 2.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) processor
- Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
- 20.7MP Rear Camera with Exmos RS sensor, HDR photos & videos, 1080p video recording.
- 2.2 MP front-facing camera with 720p video recording
- 9.4mm thick and weighs 140 grams
- IP55 / IP58 rating for dust and water resistance
- 2GB RAM, 16GB internal memory
- Xi LTE, WiFi 820.11 a/b/g/n/ac , Bluetooth 4.0 with APT-X, GPS/ GLONASS, MHL, NFC
- 2300mAh Battery
It’s heartening to see Sony releasing a mini version of their flagship without too many compromises. Earlier this year, we saw mini versions of two flagship android devices – Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and HTC One mini, both carrying similar design language as their parent devices, but heavily compromised in terms of internal specifications.
For now, the Xperia Z1 f will be available only on NTT Docomo’s extra-high-speed next-generation LTE service, Xi (Crossy) in Japan. It’ll be available in four colors – Lime, Black, White and Pink. Pricing is yet to be announced, and the device will arrive in late December 2013.