Viber, which recently surpassed more than 200 million users across 192 countries around the world has just launched a touch-friendly version for the Windows 8 operating system. The popular mobile messaging and VoIP app brings several exclusive features to the Windows 8 platform with this new native app.
Viber has had a Windows version of its app for years, but the new version is developed ground-up, in line with the touch-friendliness of the latest OS from Microsoft. Some of the unique features of Viber Windows 8 app include:
• Pin conversations to the Start screen
• Snap Viber to the side of the screen with Snap View
• Search for Viber contacts using the Search charm
• “Windows 8 Toast Notifications” guarantee that you never miss a message or call
• Change languages regardless of your system language
• Viber messaging, free calls, stickers, and seamless integration and call transfers between mobile and desktop versions of Viber.
The user interface is pretty similar to the Windows Phone version, and one can use the same phone number to set it up. Once you verify, all your mobile contacts can be seen on the desktop app, and you can make and switch call as you regularly do.
Viber is taking on Skype in every possible way and the new Windows 8 app should empower their endeavor. Just a few days back, Viber had expanded its international calling service, with rates similar or at times, lesser than what Skype offers for its customers. Unlike Skype, Viber also makes money by selling virtual stickers which have become popular with advent of mobile messaging apps.
The new version of Viber can be downloaded from: http://www.viber.com