BlackBerry has just announced that the latest BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 update is being rolled out by carriers across the world to all the handsets running the BlackBerry 10 OS. The struggling Canadian giant says that the update includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements that should make the things you do every day faster and easier, with an onus on more productivity and better connectivity.
There have been several question marks over the future of BlackBerry 10 handsets in recent times, after the deal to sell the company to Fairfax fell through late last year. But this latest software update should keep existing users happy, specially since it comes with several new enhancements like:
- Customize Pinch Gesture to Filter BlackBerry Hub – lets you instantly filter the message list in the Hub.
- Simplified Phone Experience – The phone includes a new incoming call screen that lets you swipe to the left to answer or swipe right to ignore a call.
- SMS and Email Groups – You can now create SMS and email groups for more efficient broadcast communications.
- Actionable Lock Screen Notifications – You can now “Tap to open” a message that appears on the lock screen, letting you respond to an important message much quicker or to check messages more discreetly.
- Picture Password for Quick Unlocking – You can quickly unlock your phone using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9) of your choice, which you place at a particular point on the image.
- Customizable Quick Settings Menu – You can now customize what appears on the Settings menu, which includes features such as being able to quickly change the Brightness of the smartphone’s display, toggle various network connections, and access the built-in flashlight.
- Offline Browser Reading Mode – You can now save the current web page you’re on for later viewing, even if you are offline or without an Internet connection.
- Preferred Contact Sync – You can now choose the sync source for your Contacts ensuring you always have the most up-to-date contact details.
- Device and Battery Monitor – A new and improved device monitor provides you with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU stats.
- Automatic Software Updates – OS updates can be set to happen automatically over a Wi-Fi® connection to help ensure you’re always benefiting from the latest and best possible customer experience.
- FM Radio – For BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Q10 and BlackBerry Q5 smartphone, the new software update unlocks the built-in FM radio
The new update will be available to customers around the world, rolling out starting today in the U.S., Europe, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America, and will be available for the entire line of smartphones running BlackBerry 10.