Xiaomi, widely considered to be the ‘Apple of China’ is nothing like Apple for many reasons including their pricing strategy. The ever-growing Chinese OEM is making a dash to the Indian smartphone market with their latest flagship, the Xiaomi Mi3. The Mi3 will go on sale on July 15th for an astounding price of just Rs.14,999 (~$249)!
The Xiaomi Mi3 comes with some impressive specifications:
Xiaomi Mi3 Specifications
- 5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) IPS display with 441 PPI resolution with Corning Gorilla glass protection
- 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor
- Size: 114mm×72mm×8.1mm, weight: 145g
- MIUI V5 skin on top of Android 4.3
- 13MP rear camera with LED Flash, Sony Exmor BSI sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 1080p full HD video recording
- 2MP front-facing camera with BSI sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 1080p full HD video recording
- 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16 GB internal memory
- 3G, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4/5 GHz), WiFi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, and NFC
- 3050mAh battery
It was widely expected that Xiaomi will be launching their handsets at cost here in India, but this pricing is surely going to cause some headaches for many companies. A 5-inch Full HD phone with the near-latest Snapdragon 800 processor for less than Rs.15k is an astonishingly low priced. The lack of a microSD slot is possibly the biggest (and only) gripe with the specifications right now. Xiaomi has a 64GB variant of Mi3 in China, but we aren’t sure if and when we get to see that in India.
Xiaomi is expected to exclusively partner with the Indian e-commerce giant Flipkart to kickstart their Indian operations. It remains to be seen what kind of stock Xiaomi will bring for the launch. Back in China, they sell thousands of units within minutes of going live. So expect the same with Indian launch as well.