After the release of the Galaxy Alpha with metal slides, which seems to be aimed at the upcoming launch of the iPhone 6, the Galaxy Note 4 is the next big release Samsung fans are looking forward to. But before that happens, it seems that Samsung has YET another one smartphone ready for release – the Galaxy Mega 2. It’s been more than a year since the original 6.3 and 5.8 inch models have been launched, so it looks like a refresh is on the cards.
The Galaxy Mega 2 is expected to join the mid-range market, according to a recent report from SamMobile. The publication has received the first ever official firmware of the Galaxy Mega 2, which suggests the release is imminent. The Galaxy Mega 2 is codenamed “Vasta”, and carries SM-G750F* as its model number. Here’s a breakdown of its potential tech specs:
- 5.99-inch HD (1280×720) Super AMOLED display (the European version)
- Samsung Exynos 4 (Exynos 4415) SoC with a Quad-core Cortex-A9 CPU clocked at 1.4GHz, comes with integrated LTE
- Mali-400MP4 GPU with a clock speed of 533MHz
- 2GB of RAM
- 12-megapixel main camera sensor with Full HD (1920×1080) video recording at 30FPS
- 8GB of internal memory, user expandable via MicroSD card slot
- WiFi 802.11n support, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0 LE / ANT+, GPS, GLONASS
- IR blaster to control your TV using Samsung’s Smart Control app
- MicroUSB 2.0 port
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Samsung’s latest Magazine UX
The smartphone will probably be available with a more affordable price than recent Samsung devices, as it doesn’t sport such premium features as a fingerprint scanner or a heart-rate sensor. In order to make this upcoming mid-range smartphone appealing, Samsung has bundled many new software features, some of which are sad to help the user with one-handed usability.
Another feature is the Easy Side Panel which enables on-screen navigation buttons on the right/left side of the display. The Mega 2 will be coming in two flavors – Exynos and Snapdragon, with the latter being available in selected markets, mainly China. This option will come with Qualcomm’s 64-bit Snapdragon 410 (8916) SoC, a quad-core Cortex-A53 CPU clocked at 1.4GHz and an Adreno 306 GPU with a clock speed of 533MHz and LTE support.