As it was expected, besides new the new iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3, Apple today announced that OS X Yosemite is available as a free upgrade for Mac users from the Mac App Store. Most of its features have been already known but now it also brings a new Today view, a redesigned Spotlight and updated versions of Safari, Mail, Messages and iTunes.
Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering, said the following about it:
“OS X Yosemite is the most advanced version of OS X we’ve ever built, with a brand new design, amazing Continuity features and powerful versions of the apps you use every day. OS X Yosemite ushers in the future of computing, where your Apple devices all work together seamlessly and magically. It’s something only Apple can do, and it’s available today.”
Yosemite comes with the Continuity feature that makes your Mac and iOS devices work in synchronization. Here’s a quick breakdown of the new features:
- Today view in Notification Center – allows for quick access to informative widgets for Calendar, Weather, Stocks, Reminders, World Clock and social networks
- New Spotlight – rich information tothe desktop deliver from Wikipedia, Maps, Bing, App Store, iTunes Store, iBooks Store, top websites, news and movie showtimes
- iCloud Drive for storing any type in iCloud
- Streamlined new Safari with performance and battery life
- Updated version of Mail, which comes with Markup for quickly filling out and signing forms and PDFs right within Mail, plus Mail Drop, which makes it easy to send large attachments up to 5GB for free
- Enhanced Messages which allows to add participants to your ongoing group conversations, see their locations on a map and quickly access attachments and even mute notifications
- iTunes 12 comes with a new look and makes it easy to switch between browsing your music library and discovering new music on the iTunes Store
- Family Sharing allows family members tobrowse and download each other’s iTunes, iBooks or Mac App Store purchases.
OS X Yosemite is available as a free upgrade today from the Mac App Store and it supports all Macs introduced in 2009 or later, and some models introduced in 2007 and 2008.