At a launch event today in Beijing, Lei Jun, the CEO of Xiaomi has announced some new products to celebrate the upcoming 5th birthday of the company which is now being valued at an amazing $45 billion. The Chinese company introduced a special ‘Ladies edition’ of the Mi Note and also the Mi Smart Weight Scale and the Mi Smart Plug Board.
Xiaomi has also introduced a cheaper variant of the Redmi 2, the Redmi 2A, which is also the company’s cheapest handset yet. The smartphone is priced at RMB 599 ($96) but Mi fans will be able to purchase Redmi 2A for a price of just RMB 499 ($80) on April 8th. As for its specs, it will come with the following:
- 4.7-inch (1280 x 720 pixels) IPS display
- 1.5 GHz quad-core processor with Mali-core GPU
- 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory, micro SD card up to 32GB
- Dual SIM
- MIUI v6 on top of Android 4.4 (KitKat)
- 8MP rear camera with LED Flash, BSI sensor, f/2.2 aperture, Omnivision sensor, 1080p video recording
- 2MP front-facing camera, 720P HD video recording
- 4G LTE/3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
- 2200mAh battery
The Xiaomi Redmi 2A will be available in White, Dark gray, Bright Yellow, Light Green and Pink colors. The device seems to be targeting the local Chinese audience for now as details regarding its global roll-out haven’t been released yet.