Recently, there’s been a lot of talk surrounding Asus’ ZenFone 2 smartphone, which the company actually first unveiled back at this year’s CES edition in Las Vegas. Since then, we’ve been able to spend some time with the device for our first impressions, but only today has the device been finally unveiled for Indian customers, as well, with a price of 12,999 rupees. This was pretty much expected, since the phone was priced at just $199 unsubsidized.
This smartphones comes packed with a bunch of special features and specs, which explains the huge expectation behind. So, to remind you, here’s what it comes with:
- 64-bit quad-core Intel processor (Intel Atom Quad Core Z3580 (2.3GHz/1.8GHz), PowerVR G6430, with OpenGL 3.0 support)
- 5.5-inch (1080p) IPS display with Gorilla Glass 3
- 3000 mAh battery with fast-charge technology (non-removable)
- 2GB/4GB LPDDR3 RAM
- 16GB/32GB/64GB eMMC Flash with 5GB free lifetime ASUS WebStorage
- 13-megapixel f/2.0 camera with a dual-color “Real Tone” flash along with a 5-megapixel f/2.0 in the front
- Android 5.0 with ASUS’ own ZenUI flavor
- dual-SIM LTE, WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth V4.0, NFC
The smartphone will be coming in the following colors – Black/White/Red/Gray/Gold. While the smartphone is priced at 12,999 rupees, that’s just for the first low-entry version, as prices increase with a better-specced version, as follows – 14,999, 19,999 and 22,999 INR. And this is where it gets a little bit confusing, as there are two possible RAM configurations with three storage options and two different processor frequencies. So, the potential buyer could get a bit confused here, but it’s a smart move from Asus, since it brings more products to cover different types of consumers.
What you need to know is that the top end variant of the ZenFone 2 is the ZE551ML; and the ZE550ML represents the mid-range series. The top version gets a 1920 x 1080p resolution as opposed to 1280 x 720 on the mid-range one. And it also comes with more RAM and the most powerful processor. The 2GB version of the ZE551ML will retail for Rs. 14,999 and you will pay Rs 19,999 for the version with 4GB of RAM. The most expensive model costs Rs 22999 but you’ll get 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage. Here’s the pricing list for all the versions:
- ZE550ML with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM – Rs 12999
- ZE551ML with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM– Rs 14999
- ZE551ML with 4GB RAM and 32GB ROM – Rs 19999
- ZE551ML with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM – Rs 22999
During its event in India, Asus also said it’s now expecting to ship 30 million units of its ZenFone-series smartphones, up from 25 million it was aiming earlier. At this price, the ZenFone 2 is entering a very competitive part of the smartphone market; but with a good build quality and impressive specs, it could be able to see some nice sales.