Apple announced iOS 9 at this year’s WWDC with a bunch of new features, and now it has seeded the third beta of iOS 9 to developers in what seems to be the biggest update to the new mobile OS so far. The update is marked as build 13A4293f and is available through Apple’s over-the-air updating system on iOS devices but also on the Apple Developer Center. Let’s have a look at what the new features are.
Apple’s new News app was a launched at WWDC most likely as a replacement for Newsstand, which has failed to remain popular with iOS users. The iOS 9 Beta 3 is the first iOS 9 beta to bring the News app, but it’s still in beta, so you could encounter various bugs and glitches. For the time being, it seems that the app is available to U.S. users only.
The News app comes with a curated list of news stories based on your preferences and interests. It also displays specific channels and topics and comes with support for the addition of RSS feeds from Safari.
Screenshot and selfie folders
The most recent version of new iOS 9 beta also brings a separate album for screenshots and selfies, so you can now easily find them under a single convenient location. It seems that the introduction of this new option is considered as the best new feature by many users, including developers.
Both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan have received a new two-factor authentication system. The new system is said to be using “different methods” to trust devices and deliver verification codes and includes a “more streamlined user experience,” according to Apple. Also, the annoying recovery key feature which caused user to lose their Apple ID accounts has been fixed with this new version.
Various other updates
- App folders on iPad – the App folders on the iPad now display apps in a 4×4 arrangement instead of a 3×3 arrangement. Thus, iPad owners can now see more apps in a single folder
- Music – the Music app in iOS 9 has been updated with access to Apple Music, Beats 1 radio, and Apple Music Connect. The Settings menu under “Music” now allows iOS users to stream music at the highest quality on a cellular connection.
- Search – a small improvement deployed for the search functionality are Siri App Suggestions which are now displayed when the users swipes downwards.
- New icons in Mail
- Siri no longer makes her classic “ding” sound
- New Calendar icon appears in Spotlight search
We will be updating the story with more new features as they are discovered along the way. Besides the the third beta of iOS 9, Apple also released the most recent software versions for watchOS 2, and OS X 10.11 El Capitan which bring various bug fixes and other improvements.