WhatsApp is the world’s most used free messaging app and one of the reasons that make it so popular is the fact that it’s being frequently updated with new features. The most recent version for Android users brings a couple of updates, among which is the option to set custom notifications for your contacts.
The option to toggle the read status of chats was made available in an earlier build last month, but it’s now became available to all users. All you need to do is to long-press on a conversation in the Chats list to mark it as read or unread. Here’s how the entire changelog for the most recent version looks like:
- Per chat custom notification settings and mute
- Mark chats as unread or read
- Added new emoji. You can also tap and hold on some emoji to choose a different color
- When receiving a contact card, you can now quickly message or save the contact if they’re on WhatsApp
- Lower the data usage used during WhatsApp calls in Settings > Chats and Calls
- Language support for Urdu and Bengali
If you want to set different notifications for your contacts, such as a soothing ringtone for your special one or something more annoying for your boss, you can now do so inside the app. You just need to open up a conversation and tap View Contact, and you’ll see there new options for custom notifications. You can change the vibration alerts, lights, pop-ups and audio tones.
Furthermore, you can also mute conversations with individual contacts for preset periods, just like with group chats. The app has also been updated with skin tone variations for a few emojis. Also, the Chats and calls menu now have a new option which allows to reduce data usage when making calls.