Xiaomi has always impressed their users with the features that come along with MIUI. The recently launched, Redmi Note 4, comes preloaded with MIUI 8, which carries many features that can be useful on a day-to- day usage. If you upgraded from Redmi Note 3 or bought a new Redmi Note 4, let’s talk about how to make the experience even better.
Redmi Note 4 Utilities:
Control TV, ACs, DVD Player and more
It is one of the most used features of phones housing an IR blaster. Redmi Note 4 has one and using the Mi Remote App you can configure almost any TV, AC, Set-top box, Fan, Box, A/V receiver, DVD player, Projector or Camera. The app has huge support for almost every type of brand.
Setting up is easy. Launch the Mi Remote App, and point your phone towards the IR sensor on your machine. Select a brand, and then follow up simple instruction to configure it. However, you will need to have your WiFi or Data turned on when setting up. Post setup, it works without the internet as well.
This feature allows you to duplicate apps without installing any third-party app on your phone. Go to Settings > Dual Apps, and select the apps you want to duplicate. Once done, they will appear on your home screen with the same icon, but with added orange mark at the bottom left.
If you want to have another profile on your phone – one for personal use, and another for work, Second Space gets you that. While we have a lot more detail here, below is the list of features you get from second space.
- Completely separates Primary Space from secondary with almost negligible impact on performance.
- You can have two separate Google account for Play Store.
- Allows you to copy files from Primary to Secondary when needed.
- It now Supports Fingerprint Lock on Secondary Space.
- It is now possible to unlock Second Space if you connect it with an MI Account, in case you forget the pattern.
If you use your phone for long hours, especially during night, the brightness does put stress on your eyes. Lowering the brightness is an excellent option, but then it’s manual. Redmi Note 4 comes with “Reading Mode” which makes the display warmer, thus reducing the strain on the eyes.
Reading Mode is also available in Quick Settings panel to turn on and off on demand, but if you wish to customize it, head over to Settings -> Display -> Reading mode.
Here you can:
- Setup warm level
- Use it for all apps or selected app.
Redmi Note 4 comes with in-house app “Security”. This app has an option to Deep Clean i.e. get rid of those files we usually miss. You can find redundant files, clear unimportant data from apps, and so on. It is powered by Clean Master, but you can switch to Tencent if you wish to.
Fingerprint Sensor Tips & Tricks for Redmi Note 4:
Use Fingerprint Sensor to take selfies
If you are tired of shaky selfies because you need to stretch your thumb to press the capture button, with Redmi Note 4, just use the Fingerprint Sensor to take photos. There is no configuration for this and just works out of the box. It works with any finger you tap on the sensor, not just with those configured.
Using the Security App, you can configure Fingerprint sensor to be used to unlock apps.
- Go to Settings > Screen Lock & fingerprint > Enable App Lock for Fingerprint.
- Open Security App > Turn On App Lock. Next, configure which apps need to be locked down.
Make sure to go to settings (icon on top right) and configure how lock settings should work. You can configure the timeout, change the password, and add your MI Account to recover in case your fingerprint sensor fails, and you forget your pattern.
If you are using Apps like PayTM, BHIM, etc, using Payment Security Feature you can make sure the third party apps cannot just use those apps unless you allow it.
It restricts access to third party apps to verification codes, makes sure you use the default messaging app, and protect from malicious SMS URLs. Further, it also keeps a tab on security by making sure the OS is updated, and root is secured.
Go to Security App > Payment Security. Here you can add the payment apps you use on regular basis. It will make sure no rogue app get access to them.
- You can take Screenshot by swiping down using three fingers. This Screenshot Gesture is definitely better than pressing down volume button and power button. On the Redmi Note 4, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Screenshot > Toggle Slide three fingers to take a screenshot.
- Additionally, MIUI also supports scrolling screenshot which is useful for web pages. Once you have taken the screenshot, it remains floating on the side. Tap on it, and select scroll from the options. It will automatically take the screenshot of an entire webpage until the end.
- You can quickly launch the Camera App by pressing the volume button down, twice. This works when the display is either off or when you are on the lock screen. Enable this option on Redmi Note 4 by going to Settings -> Lock screen & password and enable the Launch camera option.
- Having a LED on phone comes in very handy. You can customize the Notification Light on Redmi Note 4, by going to Settings > Additional Settings > Notification Light. Here you have options to:
- Turn on/off the light when you set it up for charging.
- Turn on/off pulse notification light in the case of new notification.
- Change color for Notifications, Calls, and Messages.
- Quickly Change Lock Screen Wallpaper by pressing on the wallpaper carousel icon on the top-right corner, and then selecting a new one by swiping to the left. When you get to see the wallpaper you like, tap on set to make it the lock screen wallpaper.
- MIUI 8 comes with an inbuilt wallpaper manager and theme manager. Depending on your region, it gives access to different categories, including Scenery, LifeStyle, and General. There is no end to the wallpaper collection. If that’s too much for you, you can Settings > Wallpaper > Wallpaper Carousel > and select categories.
- If you feel the navigation buttons on the Redmi Note 4 does is not in the same order you wanted, it is possible to customize those Navigation Buttons. The customization option for buttons makes it possible to change the order in two ways.
- Menu button the left, Back button the right.
- Back button the left, Menu button on the right.
This will change the display you see, but only functionally. At the end, it’s about getting used to the new order. Apart from this, you can also:
- Change what Recents button show.
- Change what Home button launches.
- Set Long press time.
- Turn off button light.
You can find all these options by going to Settings -> Additional Settings -> Buttons.
This sums up most of the useful tips, and tricks on Redmi Note 4. If you have anything that adds to the collection, let us know in the comments.