Reliance Jio has announced today that their Prime subscriber number has enrolled over an astounding, 72 Million users. The booming telecom tycoon says this is the “largest migration from free to paid services in history” and we definitely believe it considering that it is, in fact, true. Furthermore, the company is extending the deadline for subscribing to the Prime service till 15th April and is now, even offering first three months complimentary for Prime users who recharge before the specified date.
Jio Summer Surprise Plan
Under the “Jio Summer Surprise” plan, customers who participate in their Prime services by paying a sum of INR 99 and recharge prior to 15th April using Jio’s Rs 303 plan (or any higher value plan), will get services for the initial 3 months on a complimentary basis. This essentially means, your balance won’t be deducted until the first of July and you will be able to use all the available Jio services for free including 1GB of 4G data every day, unlimited calls, SMS, entertainment apps such as JioCinema, Music, Magazine, TV, and more. Reliance says “The Jio Summer Surprise is the first of many surprises for JIO PRIME members.” Post-July, Prime users will be required to monthly recharge in order to avail these services.
Moreover, Jio mentioned that Lakhs of customers have also ported their existing number using the MNP facility and Jio’s network will be also available internationally. Reliance Jio’s chairman, Mr Mukesh Ambani stated “Jio’s free service period is COMING TO AN END. Users who do not recharge by the extended date of 15th April will experience degradation and/or discontinuation of services.”
This seems to be a ploy to ensure more people actually subscribe for Rs 303 and more and not just pay Rs 99 for Prime membership.
He further added, “Jio has created the world’s largest greenfield 4G LTE wireless broadband network, with over 100,000 mobile towers. And we will add another 100,000 towers to our network in the coming months. This greenfield investment – of over Rs 200,000 crores – is the largest anywhere in the world.”
- The new deadline for Jio Prime subscription is April 15th
- The Happy new year offer will continue as it is now till then. So 1GB of free data and free calls!
- All Prime members recharging for at least Rs 303 will enjoy 3 months of complimentary offer. Paid subscription starts only from July 1
- Rs 303 (and above) recharge you are doing before April 15 is an advance recharge for July 2017.
- It’s still not clear as to what happens if someone has already recharged Rs 149 under Prime. We assume they will be allowed to upgrade to Rs 303 (or above) by paying the difference. We shall confirm this soon.