HMD Global, as expected, has today introduced an iterative upgrade to its mid-range Android smartphone — the Nokia 6. The new handset features a better processor, marginally redesigned aluminum body and most notably, the fingerprint sensor has been repositioned to the rear. The Nokia 6 2nd-gen will initially go on sale in China from January 10th at a starting price of 1499 yuan ($230 / Rs. 14,655).
Apart from that, however, the new Nokia 6 comes with roughly the same specifications from last year. There’s a 5.5-inch Full HD display on the front which doesn’t has an 18:9 aspect ratio or any bezel-less novelties as you’d expect. Underneath, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 processor has replaced the Snapdragon 430 but it sports the same 3000mAh non-removable battery. You have the option to choose from two storage variants, one with 32GB internal memory and another with 64GB internal storage, both coupled with 4GB RAM.
As far as the design is concerned, HMD Global is doing away with off-screen capacitive buttons and has moved the fingerprint sensor to the back. It also features new accents around the edges and the rear camera section. Speaking of the optics, there’s a 16-megapixel sensor on the back and an 8-megapixel front shooter. The new Nokia 6 also comes with the company’s Dual-Sight technology which lets you stream and record simultaneously from both the cameras.
Unfortunately, the Nokia 6 runs on Android Nougat out-of-the-box, although the company has mentioned it is upgradable. Moreover, it supports Dual SIM, Bluetooth 5, and rocks a USB Type-C port on the bottom. In addition to that, the new smartphone supports OZO audio recording which offers the ability to capture high fidelity 360-degree sound and playback.
The Nokia 6 will be available in two color options — Black and Silver. The base variant costs 1499 yuan, while the 4GB RAM model goes all the way up to 1699 yuan ($ 262 / Rs. 16,610). You can pre-order it now from Suning, sales from which commence from this month’s 10th in China. HMD Global has not yet specified any details about its global availability.
Nokia 6 (2018) Specifications
- Dimensions: 148.8 × 75.8 × 8.15-8.6mm; Weight: 172g
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) display, 2.5D curved glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 14nm Octa-Core Mobile Platform clocked at 2.2 GHz, Adreno 508 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 32/64GB (eMMC 5.1) internal memory, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Hybrid Dual SIM, 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5, USB Type-C
- Rear Camera: 16MP, dual-tone LED flash, PDAF, 1.0um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture
- Front Camera: 8MP, 1.12-pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3000mAh built-in battery with fast charging