Smartphone shipment has once again stuck to a downward trend globally. According to Counterpoint’s latest research, the global smartphone shipments have declined 3% annually in Q1 2018. The Top 10 smartphone brands now account for nearly 76% of the market while the remaining 24% is distributed among the other 600 brands.
The Chinese Effect?
China has been the hotbed for smartphone manufacturers, it has been the home ground for players like Huawei, Xiaomi, and Lenovo. Last year, however, the trends were different and the overall growth of the Chinese brands like Oppo and Vivo was stunted. Perhaps the brands anticipated this and have shown a much stronger sales results in regions like India, Middle East, East Asia and Africa. In fact, Huawei has reported an impressive 46% growth in Europe and 146% growth in India.
The sales figures for the Chinese manufacturers have increased in regions like Europe and the Middle East and Africa. At the same time, the Chinese smartphone manufacturers have also seen a sharp decline in the North American region. The decline is only expected to swell further after the ban on ZTE. Countries like Bangladesh, Myanmar and Middle East and Africa have a huge potential since the LTE is being launched for the first time.
HMD Global (Nokia), iTEL, Xiaomi, Tecno, OnePlus and Huawei were the brands that grew the fastest in Q1 2018. On the contrary, brands like Samsung, OPPO and Vivo reported declines in Q1 2018. It is also worth mentioning that iTel entered the Top 10 smartphone list for the first time. The three brands of Transsion holdings including Tecno, iTel and Infinix accounted for over 10 million smartphones shipped in Q1 2018.
Xiaomi Surges Ahead
Xiaomi not only seems to have recovered from the slump that happened in 2016 but the company has also surged ahead in every possible way. The company reported strong sales in India and China with a growth of 51% and 134% respectively. Xiaomi has surged to the fourth place thus surpassing Oppo and Vivo. Xiaomi shipped a total of 27 million smartphones in Q1 2018 and is growing in India.
Apple clings on the second spot with a slight increase in growth numbers. Motorola did well but the sales for Lenovo smartphones declines in India and rest of APAC. The Motorola is doing well in LATAM and US smartphone markets.