Xiaomi is kicking off its new year with — you guessed it — a new Redmi phone. The phone maker today added yet another mid-budget smartphone to its growing lineup in China — the Redmi Note 7. The biggest highlights of the new phone are its 48-megapixel rear camera, an all-glass design instead of the signature aluminum exterior, and the fact that it’s the first launch since the company spun off Redmi as a separate sub-brand (for which it carries a new “Redmi by Xiaomi” logo on the rear).
The new Redmi Note 7 comes with a 48-megapixel rear primary camera (Samsung GM1 sensor) which has an aperture of f/1.8 and another 5-megapixel for depth-sensing. Xiaomi says the 48-megapixel sensor employs pixel-binning to take better shots at a 12-megapixel resolution with larger 1.6-micron pixels. On the front, you will find a regular 13-megapixel selfie camera which offers all the standard beauty and AI modes.
Apart from that, the Redmi Note 7 is your standard mid-budget handset. It has a tiny notch at the top of a 6.3-inch 1080p screen and is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 660 chipset. The Redmi Note 7 is also the first Redmi phone with a USB Type-C port instead of MicroUSB. It has a large 4000mAh battery like previous Redmi phones and is compatible with 18 watts quick, wired charging. In addition, the Redmi Note 7 features a rear-mounted fingerprint reader and an infrared sensor for controlling appliances.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 starts at an astonishingly low 999 Yuan (~Rs 10,500) price for 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, 1,199 Yuan (~Rs 12,500) for 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, and the highest end, 6GB+64GB model costs 1,399 Yuan (~Rs 14,500). Xiaomi hasn’t yet announced availability details for regions outside of China.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Specifications
- Dimensions: 159.21 x 75.21 x 8.1mm; Weight: 186g
- 6.3-inch (2340 ×1080 pixels) Full HD+ display, 19:5:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 14nm octa-core Mobile Platform (Quad 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs), Adreno 512 GPU
- 3/4/6GB LPDDR4x RAM, 32/64GB storage, expandable up to 256GB with a microSD card
- Android 9.0 (Pie), MIUI 10
- Hybrid Dual SIM, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4 /5GHz), Bluetooth 5, USB Type-C
- Rear Cameras: 48-megapixel primary sensor, LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, EIS, 5-megapixel secondary camera
- 13-megapixel front-facing camera
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 4000mAh battery with Quick Charge 4