The Age of Empires series represents one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It still has a huge follower base which started to grow even from the very first version. Until now, we have the following games under the Age Franchise:
- Age of Empires III
- Age of Empires III: The War Chiefs
- Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties
- Age of Mythology
- Age of Mythology: The Titans
- Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
- Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion
- Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome
- Age of Empires
You can realize how many loyal gamers all these versions must have generated. Everybody is now going to test their war abilities in the online world, learned since the very first version has been released. The Online version of Age of Empires has been expected right after the release of the Asian Dynasties patch for Age of Empires 3, in October, 2007.
Age of Empires Online
Age of Empires Online was released yesterday, on August 16, 2011 after a long wait. Like with all its earlier versions, Microsoft promises that this game will appeal to long-time fans of the game as well as newbies and other online gamers. But, I guess you are already acquainted to what Age of Empires is and how successful this version will prove out to be. Just look at the image below and let me know if you don’t want to enter that fantastic world of battle right now.
The game has been created by Gas Powered Gas, the same company that released Supreme Commander; Age of Empires Online, like all games from The Age franchise, is published by Microsoft. I must admit that I was pretty impressed by the way the game is presented and the trailer is very creative and quite funny. Check it out.
Age of Empires Online Features
- It can be downloaded to any PC (Windows XP or later versions required) for free. It’s a freemium game, which means you have the option to buy packs to get multiple benefits.
- Enjoy the familiar gameplay like that of the original game but with a new interface that has been revamped to appeal to all audiences.
- Ancient Greek and Egyptian civilizations available at the moment, Celtic and Persian to be available in short time
- Up-to-date content that is guaranteed to be new and exciting
- Interact with other players through chat, battle, quest and trade
- Put up your own Capital City and show it off to other players
- No subscription fees
- Booster pack ( a bit costly)
- In-game campaigns based on historical battles
You can download the game for free at the Windows Marketplace website or from the official website. You can also avail of the boxed version of the game on selected retail stores.
What makes the game more exciting is the addition of game extras to maximize and optimize your gaming experience. Age of Empires Online offers extras which comprise of premium civilization packs, booster packs and empire extras. You can use these add-ons by downloading them on the Windows Marketplace website. Prices range from $4.99 to $19.99.
Can Age of Empires Online Threaten World of Warcraft?
The developers of Age of Empires Online guarantee that the game works by actually buying your way to the top. According to them, even though you have to buy the premium content add-ons to progress to another level, you still have to earn all the gear you need.
The game is available worldwide through Games for Windows – LIVE. It is now offered in English, German, Italian and Spanish. If you need to find more information about the game, there is an open forum where everybody can exchange information.
If you have a good Internet connection and a nice video configuration on your computer, then you are going to like this baby. Some could find the graphics “Disney-like” and not as professional and serious as the ones from the earlier versions but I must say that they are actually quite good, giving you the vivid impression of a colorful game.
Age of Empires Online can prove to be a successful version and a proud successor for the mighty Age family, but it’s premature to say that it can pose a real threat to big players in the online gaming, such as World of Warcraft. First of all, the game lacks the experienced teams from Blizzard or other similar companies. Therefore, this game is more like a comfort move from Microsoft from all those that played the classical Age games.
I don’t know about you, but I think I am ready to kick some ancient ass in Age of Empires Online!