Web is a shared platform where millions of pages are uploaded every day by different users virtually. Millions of billions of searches are made on the web using various search engines like Google and Bing. Some search for a specific information while others may search for information and resources to pursue their hobbies. The collective knowledge presented on the web is so vast and more and more numbers of people keep on thronging to get information of their choice every day.
In this process, have you ever noticed that there will be someone who follows you close to the neck every possible second while you are surfing the net?
Yes, search engines and websites follow your every step. Each and every search made on the web will be recorded into a file. And this recording is being systematized more than ever before in the history of web. Then, how can you maintain privacy by not letting your identity?
How to Surf the web Anonymously?
1. Stealth Mode Search – You can search websites in stealth mode by which your presence will not be traced. If a website notices that someone has landed on its site, you can prevent disclosure of your identity or make it think that you are not what you are. In fact, these measures are not only used to keep you protected from the Google’s new tracking avalanche. Protection measures are successfully employed by professionals, politicians and reporters who wish not to reveal their identity.
2. Deleting Cookies – You know that when you visit a new site, a cookie file will be stored in your computer. This file narrates who you are and what you are searching. It is possible to turn off this feature in your browser by which you can prevent the leakage of information. Some web browsers are offering ‘Private Browsing’ through which the cookies will be deleted in a systematic way at each completion of the session. Even though visiting websites by disguising is possible, the difficulty is that you have to login to the site quite frequently. It is also not possible to keep away from cookies from advertising agencies. To overcome this drawback, you can install an add-on or plug-in to the browser that you are using. It is available with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
3. Opting out of Privacy Tools – Still going further in restricting your tracking, you can select wisely by opting out from privacy tools on Google. You can prevent access to track your surfing details through Google Analytics. Instead of using Google, you can try other search engines like Yahoo Search, Bing, etc. The last but not the least option is going for third party applications. Here, you will play the trick by being able to disguise your browser by going through a set of users (who are also using the third party service). This is the most common method employed by people in defense establishments and reporters. Your identity is spread among a number of users and hence, it is difficult to let cookies notice the actual user.
4. Deploying Anti-virus Software – You can also deploy anti-virus and anti-spamming software to protect your computer from harmful virus and hackers. By disabling cookie browser setting and disabling Google tracking option you can prevent record of your information to the maximum possible extent. Going for third party applications will ensure that your identity is not revealed to the external world.
5. Using VPN – This has to be the easiest of the lot. We have had several posts about Free VPN services & paid VPN services. They are much more secure than proxies and help you surf the web anonymously.