Losing the iPhone contacts list is something that everyone fears. Whenever you update your smartphone, the risk of this happening is much higher than usual, but it can also happen by mistake or if the phone encountered an error and you have to make a factory reset. The process of recovering lost iPhone contacts is sometimes very tricky, and it does not always work. I remember when I lost my contacts, I was terrified. But I managed to get them from my Google address book.
If you are an iPhone user, the process is very simple and effective method to recover lost contacts by using the built-in feature of iTunes or a great tool available on the web that lets you recover your iPhone contacts with only a few clicks. We will show you how to accomplish this task using both methods in a few steps. First up is the iTunes method that allows you to restore an older backup from when you had all your contacts.
How to recover lost iPhone contacts
Keep in mind that iTunes makes a backup of your phone every time you sync it to your computer. You can also move these backups to your cloud account for better security, or you can keep them on your computer for quick access, even when not online.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Under “Devices”, you should see your phone, right click on it.
- Click on “Restore from Backup”.
- Select one of the earlier backups when you had all the contacts and let it install them. You are done!
Using this method is probably the simplest way to recover lost iPhone contacts in a few minutes. But it might delete or replace other items on your phone, such as pictures or contacts you have saved since the last backup. The next method will let you select which data you want to recover.
The program is called Wondershare and you can download it for Windows or for Mac OS and use it to recover any type of lost data (contacts, pictures, SMS, call log, etc). Here is the process of recovering lost data from your iPhone using Wondershare:
- Download and install Wondershare for Windows or Mac OS.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Open Wondershare.
- Select which backup you want to use.
- Go to the “Contacts” tab and see all the contacts in that backup.
- From here you can copy them to your computer and import them to your iPhone with iTunes.
Also, Wondershare allows you to search the phone for archives and recover them. Because when you delete something, the information is never truly gone, sometimes there are archives of that information that you can recover. For this, you will use the tool called “Dr.Fone” from Wondershare (this tool is available only for Windows users). Follow the first three steps from above and then, when the wizard appears, do what it tells you:
- Click Start
- Hold down the Power and Home buttons for exactly 10 seconds
- After 10 seconds release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
- Now you have entered the DFU mode. The program will automatically start searching your iPhone for lost data.
- When the search is finished, click on the tab you want to restore, in this case “Contacts” and there you are. Also, on the bottom, you have an option to see contacts that you have previously deleted.
These methods are tried and tested by hundreds of people worldwide and they work pretty good. There are others out there that have reported success in recovering contacts by using the in-phone feature that allows you to import from your archive. For this, you will need to:
- Open Address Book app.
- Go to “Import”.
- Select “Address Book Archive”
- You will see the folder containing all the Address Book data, from here, you only have to move it to the current location of the Address Book and you are done.
And there you are, you have successfully recovered your lost iPhone contacts. These methods will definitely help you if you ever loose your data. I only wish that no one will ever need to use these methods again, but until such a time when the OS of a smartphone will be so well designed that it will never crash or lose data, tools like these are essential.