Lenovo is continuing to expand its portfolio of smartphones in the India market, as the company has now officially made available for purchase the A5000 handset. The device can be bought from Lenovo’s own TheDoStore, and it’s currently featuring a price of Rs.9,999 (~$160), which is around $156.
The new Lenovo A5000 joins the A6000 which the company launched in the beginning of this year, the better-specced A6000 Plus and the Lenovo A7000 which we’ve seen being unwrapped at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. According to Lenovo’s TheDoStore, the company has started taking pre-orders for the smartphone and lists April 30 as the shipping date. Let’s have a look at the main specs and features of the device:
- Quad core 1.3 GHz processor from Mediatek
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- 5.0″ (1280 x 720) HD IPS display
- 1 GB RAM, 8 GB internal memory, expandable up to 32 GB with microSD
- 8MP rear camera Auto-Focus, LED Flash along with a 2 MP front camera with Fixed-Focus
- 4000 mAh battery – talktime of up to 35 hours on 2G and 17 hours on 3G; standby time of up to 32 days on 2G and 33.5 days on 3G
- Dual SIM, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi hotspot, FM receiver,GPS, A-GPS
- 9.98m thick, weighs 160 grams
- Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor
Obviously, the standout feature of the Lenovo A5000 is its large 4000mAh battery, and the device also gets a Quick Charge feature which allows the battery to get fully charged in 3 hours while a 15-minute charge offers up to 4 hours of talk time. However, the rest of its specs are rather just ‘okay’, so this means Lenovo wants the device to be aimed specifically at users who are looking for a smartphone with a good battery life.
But it does come with two drawbacks – the Lenovo A5000 supports just 3G connectivity with no 4G LTE and it comes with Android 4.4 KitKat. According to the listing on Lenovo’s website, the smartphone comes only in white and black colors. The Lenovo A5000 is bound to face stiff competition from the likes of YU Yureka, Honor 4X, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G and Lenovo’s own A7000.