The OnePlus 2 Will Get USB Type-C – Here’s why it Matters
As we’re getting closer to the release of the upcoming second-generation OnePlus 2 flagship phone, we’re hearing fresh details regarding its specs and features. Last week, the Chinese company had confirmed that the handset will get Snapdragon 810 SoC and OxygenOS. Now OnePlus has informed us through a tweet that the device will get USB Type-C, as well, saying the following:
#OnePlus2 will be the first flagship to use Type C USB. We want to lead the way in power connectivity.
If you’re still not quite familiar with the concept, go ahead and read our previous guide on this, called Everything You Need to Know About the USB Type-C, in order to learn more about the new standard. But if you’d rather prefer to go through the most important feature of the USB Type-C and why it will matter when deciding whether to buy a OnePlus 2 or not, here’s what you should know:
- The new port is reversible, which means you will manage to plug it in everytime
- USB Type-C can transfer data at up to 10 Gbps, which will seriously diminish the time needed for file transfers
- It can deliver up to 100W of power which should be enough to charge a full-sized laptop
- Type-C is backwards-compatible, which means you can use with the old ports that are already all around you (you just need a physical adapter with a USB Type-C connector for this to work)
- It is quite small, which helps the phone maker save some more space
- The new port can deliver audio and video signals via DisplayPort technology
Amazing how many things a simple port can change, right? By looking at all these perks that USB Type-C brings, it definitely makes sense to consider this aspect when thinking of buying the second-generation OnePlus 2. However, this could be one of the reasons that could potentially increase the price for the upcoming device, so would you be comfortable to pay a few extra bucks for some great features or you believe they should stick to the sub-300$ price?