How to Restore Deleted Messages on Android and iOS
Did you ever accidentally delete some of the messages on your smartphone? Did you leave the phone with a child or someone else who erased the wrong texts by mistake? There’s no need to worry about not being able to recover them because there’s some hope for both iOS and Android devices.
The application for iOS works for iPhones, iPads and the iPod Touch, so you don’t need to install a different version for each device. Once you’ve downloaded the right app for the operating system you’re using, all you have to do is follow the steps shown below.
iPhone Data Recovery for iOS
If you created a backup on iCloud or you recently connected the device to your computer, you should be able to restore all data from iTunes or the cloud. However, in many situations, we don’t have the time to make a recent backup that will allow us to recover the messages that have just been erased a few minutes ago. This is when we need an application, such as iPhone Data Recovery.
Please follow the steps below in order to retrieve texts on an iPhone or iPad:
- Download the package for iOS for $69.95 here, and then install it on your computer – it works for Windows XP, as well as Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, but you can also use it on your Mac (Mac OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8 or 10.9); there is also a free trial that you can use in case this is your first time needing this kind of support.
- Connect the desired device to your computer and the software will be automatically launched; press the Start Scan button in order to start looking for text messages, contacts, photos and other files that may have been erased.
- Right after having pressed the key for scanning, make sure that you enter DFU mode – this can be done by pressing and holding the Power and Home keys on your phone or tablet for 10 seconds; afterwards, you shall release the Power button but keep holding the Home one for another 10 seconds; the software will automatically let you know when you’re done.
- You will be given access to contents that will be classified into: photos & videos, messages & call log, memos & others; you can preview each one of them in case you’re looking for a specific file to retrieve, and once you’ve decided what you’d like to recover, check/uncheck the box to their left and press on the Recover button on the bottom right side of the screen.
- In case you want to recover all of the files, you can simply click on the Recover key directly, since all of the files will be automatically selected by the software itself.
In case you’ve recently used iTunes, you may be able to retrieve the files you need by choosing the latest backup file from this software. In order to use this method, you should do the following:
- Connect the device to the computer using the USB cable, and wait for the iTunes software to launch by itself.
- Go to the backup section in iTunes and select the latest file that has been created then click on it to preview the details.
- By taking a look at the content, you can select or deselect certain files in this backup to make sure that you’re getting the documents you need.
- Once you’re done, you should click on the Recover key to synchronize files between the backup on iTunes and your phone or tablet.
If you’ve activated iCloud, you should also be able to restore deleted texts by connecting to your account on this web page. Follow the steps, as indicated on the website:
- Connect to the iCloud website and sign in.
- Once you’re signed in, you will be able to see the list of all backup files available on iCloud; download them to your computer in order to see the details.
- Open each file and check for the specific messages that you’ve lost.
- Connect the device to the computer in order to transfer the desired documents.
Android Data Recovery for Android
The same as it happens with iPhones, there are various applications available for Android, as well. When it comes to retrieving files that you’ve lost, you can choose between apps such as Kvisoft Data Recovery, Android Data Recovery and many others.
We recommend using Dr. Fone, also known as Android Data Recovery. Customer reviews have proven this to be a trustworthy tool that doesn’t fail in finding recently deleted files. In order to get started with using this app, you should follow the indications below:
- Download the software for $49.95 from this website or try the trial version; in case it doesn’t work for you, the money will be sent back within 30 days, so there is absolutely no reason to worry; the tool works with Windows 7 and 8, as well as Vista and XP while the Mac version is suitable for Mac OS X 10.7 – 10.9.
- After installing the program, launch it and connect the device to the computer.
- The program will guide you to the next step by telling you that you should enable USB debugging – this can be done by going to Settings >> Applications/Developer Options/About Phone (depending on the version of OS) >> USB debugging; make sure that this option is checked on your tablet or phone and click on next.
- Wait for the program to detect your device – once this is done, the type and brand of the Android phone/tablet will be shown on the screen; you will then be able to click on the Start key below the Android logo.
- The program will begin to scan for text messages, contacts, media files and others; you will need to click on Allow when the message pops up on your connected device.
- The newly found files will be shown in a new window on the computer; you can then preview and select the ones you want to restore.
- Click on Recover to save all of the files or uncheck the ones you don’t need, and then click on the Recover button on the right of the screen.
If you created a backup on Google Cloud, you might be able to retrieve the desired information by connecting to your account. In order to check if this option has been activated, you should do this:
- Go to the Settings folder in your Main Menu and select Backup & Reset
- Make sure that the Automatic Restore option has been checked
- Click on Backup my Account and select one of the shown options
If this option hasn’t been activated and you didn’t create a recent backup using an app or connecting the device to your PC, Mac, desktop computer or an external hard drive, the only option you have is to use the instructions above for the Android Data Recovery application. This one is easy to use and comes with tutorials that guide your through the steps.