Reliance Jio Extends Free Service till March 2017 with Jio Happy New Year Offer
Reliance Jio, the high-flying telecom operator in India, is all set to extend the free 4G LTE data and other services to all its customers until March 31 2017. Commenting on the occasion of reaching 50 Million subscribers across India, the company chairman, Mr. Mukesh Ambani announced the new Jio Happy New Year Offer (JNO) which will be effective from 4th Dec 2016.
Jio Happy New Year Offer
Under the new Jio Happy New Year Offer, all the new and existing Jio subscribers will be entitled to special benefits which shall comprise of Jio’s Data, Voice, Video and the full bouquet of Jio applications and content, absolutely free, up to 31 March 2017. The benefits will be available to all subscribers signing up for Jio services up to 3 March 2017.
The existing Jio Welcome Offer (“JWO’) users will continue to enjoy the unlimited benefits under JWO up to 31 December 2016, following which they would be automatically signed-up for the JNO as well.
Under the Jio New Year Offer, high-speed 4G LTE data is restricted up to 1GB per day (as against 4GB per day on Jio Welcome Offer), following which the speed will be reduced to 128 Kbps. Jio claims that the decision has been taken to ensure that all the Jio users get superior data experience. Interestingly, those who want to use high-speed data beyond 1GB can do so by paying nominal tariff rates, details of which are awaited.
Reliance claims that over “80% of Jio subscribers use up to 1 GB of data daily, while the remaining 20% use disproportionately more data”, and that’s the reason for dropping the free 4G LTE data limit to 1GB instead of 4GB. For the uninitiated, the Jio Welcome offer was supposed to end on 3rd December 2016 as per TRAI guidelines, so Jio has found a workaround to extend the free services by introducing a new offer, while they figure out how to fix the network issues and interconnection points from incumbent operators for flawless HD voice calls, which continues to be the Achilles heel for the telecom network.
While making the announcement for JNO, Mukesh Ambani claimed that Jio is the fastest growing technology company in the world. Within 83 days of official launch, the company has added 52 Million subscribers with over 6-lakh subscribers being added every single day for the past 3 months. Interestingly, according to Reliance, a Jio customer is using 25 times more data than the average Indian broadband user.