OPPO’s highly rumored A83 budget smartphone is now official. The new handset offers all the trendy novelties you’d expect such as a nearly bezel-less display and a face unlock feature, all at an affordable cost. OPPO A83 will be available in China starting from December 29th for 399 yuan ($212 / Rs. 13,630). There are two color options to choose from — Champagne Gold and Black.
For starters, the OPPO A83 comes with a tall 5.7-inch nearly bezel-less HD+ display on the front. The screen features rounded corners and an aspect ratio of 18:9. Underneath, an unspecified octa-core processor keeps things running. There’s 4GB of RAM, 32GB internal storage which is expandable up to 128GB and a non-removable 3090 mAh battery.
Surprisingly, the OPPO A83 lacks a fingerprint sensor. Instead, you get an option for unlocking it with your face, a setup similar to the iPhone X. It functions by scanning 128 feature facial points and OPPO claims it is as fast as a standard fingerprint reader. The camera arrangement includes a 13-megapixel rear shooter, a single LED flash, and an 8-megapixel front-facing lens. There are also a few AI-powered tools for ‘improving’ your selfies which is most probably a jazzy way of beautifying selfies. Moreover, it supports dual-SIM, 4G, and runs on Android Nougat out of the box. OPPO, of course, has also loaded its own ColorOS 3.2 software skin on top of that. OPPO has not revealed any details about its global availability as of now.
OPPO A83 Specifications
- Dimensions:150.5 × 73.1 × 7.7mm; Weight: 143g
- 5.7-inch (1440 × 720 pixels) 18:9 HD+ full-screen display, 2.5D curved glass
- 2.5GHz Octa-Core processor, 4GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.1 (Nougat) with ColorOS 3.2
- Dual SIM, 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.2
- Rear Camera: 13-megapixel, LED flash
- Front Camera: 8-megapixel
- 3180mAh (typical) / 3090mAh (minimum) battery