Apple has released the public beta of iOS 12. Supposed to come with a number of tweaks that improve performance as well as some new features, iOS 12 is being seen by many as one of the most significant versions of the operating system that runs iPhones, iPads and iPod touches around the world. While the official version of the OS is expected later this year, those wanting to try it out without investing in a Developer Account can do so by downloading the public beta of the OS. A note of warning: this is very much a beta software and might lack some features, be unstable and could potentially wreak havoc with your device. On the flip side, it will certainly give you a taste of the iOS future for no price at all.
So if you wish to get iOS 12 on your device today, here’s what you need to do:
How to Install iOS 12 Public Beta
- Make sure you have a compatible device (list). Our advice would be to not try this software on your primary device. The reason is explained in the next point,
- Back up your information and data. Let’s face it, for all the goodness and improvements it claims to bring, this is beta software and that simply means, things can go wrong. We have had beta software converting our devices into monochrome ones, butchering cameras, killing GPS and one case, even bricking the device itself.
- That done, on your iOS device, head to the Apple Beta Software Program Page – https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/. And hit the Sign Up option. Relax, it’s free
- You will have to enter your Apple ID to join the program. It is the same ID you use for iCloud and to purchase apps on the iTunes App Store.
- Get set for the legalese. You will now have to agree to the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement. You will be asked to read it carefully. Basically, it boils down to “this is a beta, things could go wrong, so please try to avoid installing it on machines that are important. There, we have told you.” You can also opt to see how your data is managed by viewed Privacy in the Apple Beta Software Program. Anyway, just hit Accept for the Agreement to get to the beta.
- You will now have a Public Beta guide page. Head to Get Started and in it, hit the “enroll your iOS device” link.
- And you are now on the page where the real business starts – the Device Enroll page. The upper section will be on how to archive an iOS backup as you are once again warned that this is a beta software. Follow it if you want to back up your device. Once done, go to point 2, which says Download Profile. And click the Download profile button. You will see a message saying that the website is trying to open Settings. Hit the Allow option.
- You will now see an iOS 12 Beta Software Profile box on the display in the settings section. Hit “Install” on the top right corner of the box. You will have to enter your device passcode and give your consent to a message from Apple which once AGAIN warns you that this is a beta software. Hit Install and click on the Install option in the Install Profile Box that appears. You will be asked to restart your device to apply changes. Do so.
- When your device restarts, go to Settings and in General, check Software Update. You should see iOS 12 Public beta. Choose Download and Install. You are underway!
- When the download is done, you will be asked to restart your iOS device. Do so,
- Congratulations, you are now on iOS 12 beta. Enjoy. And be careful. As Apple keeps reminding you, this is a beta software.