Motorola has today taken the wraps off its much-rumored flagship of the year, the Moto Z3. While the phone does feature nearly everything you’d expect from a premium phone in 2018 (except for the highest end processor), Motorola is instead of betting on the 5G future for its success. The company has introduced a Moto Mod as well which will allow the Z3 to be compatible with Verizon’s 5G network whenever it arrives.
Apart from that, the Moto Z3 is your standard ~$500 smartphone. It has a 6-inch OLED screen with a resolution of Full HD+ and an aspect ratio of 18:9 which essentially means it’s notch-free. Surprisingly, the Z3 is powered by Qualcomm’s yesteryear flagship chipset, the Snapdragon 835 instead of the latest 845. There’s 4GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage which can be expanded, and a 3000mAh which supports the company’s TurboCharge quick charging technology.
The phone also comes with two camera sensors on the rear — a 12-megapixel regular f/2.0 lens and another 12-megapixel monochrome sensor for “true-monochrome” and bokeh effects. On the front, you’ll find an 8-megapixel f/2.0 selfie snapper too. The Moto Z3, out of the box, runs Android 8.1 in addition to a few Motorola tidbits such as Moto Display, Moto Actions, and others. The fingerprint sensor is housed on the side beneath the power key and its exterior has a water-repellent nano-coating.
The Moto Z3, for now, will be available only in a single variant and color option — Ceramic Black for $480. The 5G Moto Mod will be launched early next year. Even though the 5G compatibility sounds promising, the Moto Z3 today will be a hard sell considering the aged processor and the aggressive competition. Think about it, would you buy this phone now thinking it will eventually have 5G support through an external accessory or just go for something that launches inbuilt with 5G compatibility next year?
Moto Z3 Specifications
- Dimensions:76.5 x 156.5 x 6.75 mm; Weight: 156g
- 6-inch (1080 x 2160 pixels) Full HD+ Super AMOLED display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa-Core Mobile Platform, 2.45GHz, Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, expandable up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Rear camera: 12-megapixel+12-megapixel, RGB+monochrome, f/2.0 aperture, 1.25um pixel size, Laser Autofocus, Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) dual LED flash
- Front Camera: 8-megapixel, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12um pixel size, wide-angle 84° lens, screen flash
- Water repellent nano-coating
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Front port loudspeaker, 4 far-field mic system, USB Type-C audio
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3000mAh battery with Turbocharging