Oppo’s erstwhile sub-brand, RealMe which recently went independent today introduced the second-generation of the highly acclaimed RealMe 1. The new RealMe 2 mends a bunch of shortcomings and comes with a few upgrades especially for the battery. The RealMe 2 will be available on Flipkart for a starting price of Rs 8,990 for the 3+32GB variant and Rs 10,990 for the 4+64GB option. It will go on sale from September 4th at noon. The company also teased a more powerful, RealMe 2 Pro which will be announced sometime next month.
The RealMe 2 retains Oppo’s signature diamond-cut exterior with one significant change. The front now has a notch at the top of a larger 6.2-inch screen. The resolution, though, oddly has been downgraded to 720p as opposed to 1080p found on the RealMe 1.
Another critical change RealMe has made is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 chipset which theoretically is a step back from the MediaTek Helio P60 powering the new phone’s predecessor. There’s up to 64GB of onboard storage which can be expanded through a MicroSD card, and either 3GB or 4GB of RAM.
Perhaps, the biggest cornerstone of the RealMe 2 is the 4,230mAh battery. There’s no quick-charging support which is expected considering the price. The other major highlight of the RealMe 2 is the presence of two camera sensors on the rear instead of one. There’s a primary 13-megapixel sensor paired with a secondary 2-megapixel snapper for depth-sensing and features such as the Portrait Mode. On the front, you will find an 8-megapixel selfie camera.
In addition to a software-based face unlock feature, the RealMe 2 also fixes one of the complaints most people had with the RealMe 1 by adding a fingerprint sensor on the back. It comes preloaded with Android 8.1 with Oppo’s custom ColorOS skin on top. The phone is compatible with two SIM cards and Dual 4G VoLTE as well. There are three color options to choose from — Diamond Red, Diamond Blue, and Diamond Black.
There are a handful of offers available on launch as well including a flat Rs 750 on HDFC credit and debit cards, Rs 4,200 cashback for Reliance Jio customers, and a few other complimentary coupons.
Realme 2 Specifications
- Dimensions: 156.2×75.6×8.2mm; Weight: 168g
- 6.2-inch (1520 x 720 pixels) screen, 2.5D curved glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 14nm 1.8GHz Octa-Core Mobile Platform, Adreno 506 GPU
- 3/4GB RAM, 32/64GB storage, expandable up to 256GB with a microSD card
- ColorOS 5.1, Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Dual SIM, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2
- Rear Cameras: 13-megapixel, LED flash, f/2.2 aperture, a secondary 2-megapixel f/2.4 lens
- Front Camera: 8-megapixel, f/2.2 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size
- Fingerprint sensor, face unlock
- 4230mAh battery