Xiaomi has today unveiled a more affordable counterpart to its 2018 flagship with the launch of the Mi8 Lite (Youth Edition) in China. The new phone skips a bunch of premium features including the IR-based facial recognition system for a cheaper 1399 yuan price tag.
The Xiaomi Mi8 Lite offers a notch-equipped 6.26-inch 1080p screen with an aspect ratio of 19:9. It’s powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 660 octa-core chipset and comes in either 4GB or 6GB RAM flavors. There’s 64GB or 128GB of onboard storage which can be expanded with a MicroSD card. The phone comes preloaded with Android 8.1 and Xiaomi’s own custom skin, MIUI.
The Mi8 Lite features two camera sensors on the rear — a primary 12-megapixel lens with an aperture of f/1.9 and another 5-megapixel secondary camera for depth-sensing. On the front, you will find a beefed up 24-megapixel snapper for selfies. A rear-mounted fingerprint sensor is available as well but sadly, it lacks its elder sibling’s hardware-based face unlock feature.
There are three color options — Aurora Blue, Sunset Gold, and Midnight Black. It starts at a price of 1399 yuan (~Rs 14,800) for 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. The 6GB RAM and 64GB storage variant costs 1699 yuan (~Rs 18,000), while the highest end model that offers 6GB RAM and 128GB storage is priced at 1999 yuan (~Rs 21,000). The phone is available for order starting today with sales beginning from September 25th.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite comes in Aurora Blue, Sunset Gold and Midnight Black colors, is priced at 1399 yuan (US$ 204 / Rs. 14,835 approx.) for the 4GB RAM with 64GB storage version, 6GB RAM with 64GB storage version costs 1699 yuan (US$ 248 / Rs. 18,020 approx.), and the top-end 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version costs 1999 yuan (US$ 290 / Rs. 21,200 approx.). It is available for order from today and goes on sale from September 25th.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite (Youth Edition) Specifications
- Dimensions: 156.4×75.8×7.5mm; Weight: 169g
- 6.26-inch (2280×1080 pixels) Full HD+ display, 19:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 14nm Octa-Core Mobile Platform, Adreno 512 GPU
- 4/6GB LPDDR4x RAM, 64/128GB internal storage, expandable up to 256GB with a microSD card
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI
- Hybrid Dual SIM, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5 LE, USB Type-C
- Rear Cameras: 12-megapixel primary f/1.,9 lens, LED flash, 1.4μm pixel size, 5-megapixel secondary camera
- Front Camera: 24-megapixel, Sony IMX576 sensor
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3350mAh battery, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0