Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 665, 730, and 730G Mobile Platforms
Qualcomm has today announced three new chipsets for its 6-and-7 series mobile platforms. The new chipsets, namely, the Snapdragon 665, Snapdragon 730, and Snapdragon 730G, are designed to improve the consumer experience in fields like Artifical Intelligence, Camera, and Gaming.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 Mobile Platform
The all-new Snapdragon 665 mobile platform adds to the existing lineup of the 6-series of mobile platform from Qualcomm. As claimed by the company, the new chipset promises to deliver a highly intelligent experience when it comes to mobile gaming along with improved camera performance and high security.
Snapdragon 665 Highlights
- With the all-new Snapdragon 665 mobile platform, Qualcomm has included support for the third-generation Qualcomm AI Engine that comes with Hexagon 686 DSP and HVX, to improve AI performance and deliver up to 2x faster processing speeds.
- Talking about the camera performance and improvements, Qualcomm says that the new Snapdragon 665 mobile platform features the Qualcomm Spectra 165 ISP, reinforced with AI, to provide better scene recognition, auto adjustments, along with a bunch of other features.
- Gaming with the Snapdragon 665 is taken care of by the Adreno 610 GPU that promises to deliver better performance when it comes to audio, graphics, gameplay. Additionally, there is also support for Vulkan 1.1, aptX Adaptive Audio, and Qualcomm Aqstic.
- The Snapdragon 665 mobile platform utilizes the Kryo 260 CPU that uses four performance cores and four efficiency cores to deliver better performance and improve better battery life. In terms of connectivity, the platform uses the Snapdragon X12 LTE Modem that offers better download speeds on LTE and better connectivity and speeds on Wi-Fi.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 Mobile Platform
Similar to the 6-series, Qualcomm has also launched the new mobile platforms for the 7-series. The all-new Snapdragon 730 provides on-device AI experience with improved optics, gaming, and performance. It is designed to introduce customers with the technologies that were earlier only limited to the 8-series mobile platform from the company.
Snapdragon 730 Highlights
- The Snapdragon 730 comes with Qualcomm’s fourth-generation multi-core AI Engine that packs 2x the power of its predecessor and enhances the camera, gaming, voice, and security interactions. It also includes Qualcomm’s Hexagon 688 Processor which supports Hexagon Vector eXtension and Hexagon Tensor Accelerator along with a bunch of other essentials to deliver better AI acceleration.
- Qualcomm has added the Qualcomm Spectra 350 along with a dedicated Computer Vision (CV) ISP for the first time in the 7-series mobile platform. The two, offer up to 4x overall power savings than the previous generation. They also help in capturing 4K HDR videos in Portrait Mode and offer high-resolution depth sensing to provide support for the triple-lens cameras that feature ultra-wide, portrait and telephoto lenses. The new platform also provides the ability to capture photos and videos in HEIF format to reduce the file size and allow users to capture more with half the size.
- Talking about gaming, the Snapdragon 730 comes with Qualcomm’s 618 GPU making it the first chipset in the 7-series mobile platform. The GPU features Vulkan 1.1, a next-generation graphics library that consumes 20% less power than OpenGL ES while still providing better graphics with longer battery life. To deal with audio, the new 730 mobile platform comes with Qualcomm’s aptX Adaptive audio and Aqstic technology to give a better enriching sound experience.
- When it comes to performance and connectivity, the Snapdragon 730 claims to offer better performance and an impreses battery life. The Kyro 470 CPU and the Adreno 618 GPU, based on the 8-nm process come with new architecture to deliver faster app launch speeds, better multi-tasking and gaming performance. For connectivity, the new mobile platform comes with Snapdragon X15 LTE Modem to offer up to 800Mbps cellular download speeds and Wi-Fi 6 support.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G Mobile Platform
The Snapdragon 730G is another addition to the 7-series mobile platforms by the company. It is a level above the Snapdragon 730 and is specifically designed keeping elite gamers in mind. In a nutshell, it has significant performance improvements and enhancements in gaming, graphics, and connectivity.
Snapdragon 730G Highlights
- Up to 15% faster graphics rendering with the overclocked Adreno 618 GPU
- Optimized for some of the world’s top-rated games
- Improved graphics and video quality that provide a true HDR gaming experience.
- Reduced game stutter at 30fps with Qualcomm’s very own Jank Reducer technology to provide players with a smooth gaming experience.
- Enhanced gameplay with a fast and efficient online gaming experience with the use of Wi-Fi latency manager to optimize the network and Wi-Fi configurations and settings.
“With the introduction of the Snapdragon 730, 730G and 665 Mobile Platforms, we are bringing features such as sophisticated AI, exceptional gaming and advanced camera capabilities to a broad spectrum of devices at exceptional performance,” said Kedar Kondap, the Vice President of Product Management, Qualcomm Technologies Inc, on the launch of the new mobile platforms.
Qualcomm says that it is expecting the newest 6-and-7 series mobile platforms, the Snapdragon 665, 730, and 730G, to be featured in a smartphone somewhere in mid-2019.