Spotify is now Available in India Starting at Rs 119 ($1.7) per month
After being reported on multiple occasions about its official launch in India, Spotify is today finally available in India. Though the company hasn’t officially announced the launch of service in the country (yet), the leaked Premium plans are pretty much an indication of the official launch that is supposed to happen soon. With the plans available in an annual, monthly, or daily tenure, the company seems focused on catering to a huge potential customer base.
As of now, existing users can log in to Spotify’s official website and change the country to be able to use make payments to the Premium plans. For which, they need to go to this page, change the country to India (in case you have selected another country), and wait for a few minutes before the plans are displayed on the screen. On the other hand, those wanting to use the service for the first time may not be able to sign up and pay for the plans currently. At the time of writing, Spotify’s official apps for Android and iOS can be downloaded off their respective app stores.
Spotify India Premium Plans
Premium Spotify subscriptions plans start at Rs 119 per month (after one month free trial), while it will be Rs 129 if someone wants to pay just for a month. Additionally, students enrolled in schools or universities, get benefit in the plans with up to 50% off on the premium plans that they opt for. Interested users can make payments for the Premium plans using any of the various payment options, including credit card, debit card, PayTM, or UPI.
If someone wants to subscribe for an year, it would cost Rs 1189 which is virtually 2 months of free subscription.
Below are prices for one-time top-ups:
- Yearly – Rs 1189
- 6 months – Rs 719
- 3 months – Rs 389
- 1 month – Rs 129
- 7 days – Rs 39
- 1 day – Rs 13
It would be interesting to see how Spotify manages to compete in India, especially with the likes of Apple Music (Rs 120 per month), Amazon Music (Rs 129 per month), Google Play Music (Rs 99 per month), Gaana (Rs 99 per month), JioSaavn (Rs 99 per month) etc considering the fact that the prices of Premium plans on these services is pretty competitive.
UPDATE: As of today, February 27, Spotify has officially announced the launch of their service in India. Following which, Spotify will now be officially available for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac and can be downloaded by people in India to stream their favourite music. The company says that it has specifically redesigned the experience for Indian users with features like:
- Multi-language music recommendations that include music in Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu, which can be selected accordingly to receive tailored Daily Mix, Home, Radio, Search results and recommendation.
- Spotify Free with total control that allows smartphone users to play every song on demand.
- Playlists made for India that include Indiestan, Rap91, Namaste Love, Punjabi 101, Bollywood Butter, etc alongside International playlist recommendations.
- Starring, that provides a series of the best music from the most popular Bollywood, Tollywood, Kollywood, and Punjabi actors and movies.
- City playlists that use algorithmic playlists tracking to recommend what’s trending in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Chennai.