MediaTek Dimensity 1000 7nm SoC with integrated 5G announced
Earlier this year, at COMPUTEX 2019, MediaTek unveiled its first SoC with integrated 5G modem, specifically targeted towards low-cost flagships. And today, the Taiwanese chipmaker has announced what it claims to be the most-advanced 5G chipset family, Dimensity. The first SoC to emerge out of the Dimensity family belongs to the 1000-series, which packs 5G connectivity along with the latest processing, AI, and imaging innovations.
At its core, MediaTek Dimensity 1000 is built on a 7nm manufacturing process and packs in four Arm Cortex-A77 cores operating at 2.6GHz in addition to four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores at 2.0GHz. The company says this design template allows the SoC to strike the right balance between performance and power efficiency. Further, the chipset also includes an ARM Mali-G77 GPU — to aid with better graphics processing and gaming on 5G — and a new MediaTek AI Processing Unit — APU 3.0 — to offer up to 4.5 TOPS computing speed.
In terms of connectivity, the Dimensity 1000 family integrates the newest Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 standards to offer better and faster connectivity, with up to 1Gbps throughput in both downlink and uplink speeds. On the cellular side, the SoC provides support for 5G two carrier aggregation (2CC CA) and boasts itself to be the world’s fastest throughput SoC with 4.7Gbps downlink and 2.5Gbps uplink speeds over sub-6GHz networks. Further, it supports stand-alone and non-stand alone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks, and also has multi-mode support for every cellular generation from 2G to 5G.
MediaTek Dimensity 1000 Features and Highlights
1. The Dimensity platform packs in the world’s first five-core image signal processor (ISP) combined with MediaTek’s Imagiq+ technology to offer a better camera and video performance. It also provides support for 80MP cameras sensors at 24FPS along with multi-camera setup options such as 32+16MP configuration.
2. As already mentioned, the platform is capable of aggregating two 5G connections (2CC CA), which helps it to provide the fastest throughput performance of up to 4.7Gbps.
3. The APU comes with support for advanced AI-camera enhancements for autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (HDR), and facial detection. It also provides multi-frame video HDR capability, which is the first time on an SoC.
3. Dimensity offers support for FullHD+ displays up to 120Hz and 2K+ up to 90Hz, in addition to AV1 format support to enable better visual details, enhanced sound, and higher resolution while streaming.
4. With 5G carrier aggregation, besides offering higher average speeds, the platform also performs a seamless handover between two connection areas to offer seamless high-speed connections on the go.
MediaTek Dimensity 1000 Availability
According to MediaTek, Dimensity 1000 is designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks, launching in Asia, North America, and Europe. So, we can expect to see devices running on the latest chipset later this year and in early 2020.