Hello, all you Android users out there! We’re back with an awesome mod for your devices that you will absolutely love! XDA-Developers have bestowed upon us one of the coolest mods ever: Pimp my ROM. This is a program that will run in the background of your device and will do all kinds of tweaks and changes to your system, making it faster and better. However, this is not a ROM, you will flash it from recovery mode and it will run on top of your existing ROM.
It works both on stock ROMs or on custom ROMs, but you will need a custom recovery installed and a rooted device for this to work. Apart from this, you are all set. It supports most devices but keep in mind that you have to download it for your specific screen size (here is a list of screen sizes) because it will launch right after flashing.
List of supported devices
- Asus Infinity (TF700)
- Google-Asus Nexus 7 (Grouper)
- HTC Amaze
- HTC Desire S (S510E)
- HTC Desire Z
- HTC Evo 4G (Supersonic)
- HTC Explorer (A310e)
- HTC Incredible S (S710e)
- HTC MyTouch 4G Slide
- HTC Thunderbolt (ADR6400L)
- HTC Tattoo (Click)
- HTC Vision (T-mobile G2)
- Huawei Ascend (g300)
- LG G2x (P999 DW)
- LG optimus one (P500)
- LG Optimus 3D (P920)
- LG Optimistic V (VM670)
- Motorola Bravo (MB520)
- Motorola Defy
- Motorola Droid X (MB810)
- Motorola Droid 2 (DW2E)
- Motorola Photon Q
- Motorola Triumph (Virgin Mobile model)
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus (i9250)
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G (Verizon)
- Samsung Nexus S (i9020)
- Samsung Nexus S (SCLCD – i9023)
- Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8000)
- Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (i9100)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile T989)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T i777)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch (SPH-D710)
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300)
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (ATT 1747)
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 – 7.0 (P3100)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 3G (P6800)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Wifi (P6810)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Verizon (i815)
- Sony Live with Walkman (WT19)
- Sony Xperia Arc S (LT18i)
- Sony Xperia Mini (ST15i)
- Sony Xperia Neo
- Sony Xperia Play (R800i)
Before we begin, remember to backup all the information on your phone. A nandroid backup is always a good idea before flashing anything on your device.The process of installing this mod is fairly simple. If you have a habit of flashing ROMs or kernels, you won’t have any problem with it. All you have to do is download the image for your device, copy it on your phone’s internal storage and flash it like any other .zip update. For those who are not familiar with flashing, here is a crash course in flashing things:
- Download the corresponding image for your device.
- Copy the .zip file to your smartphone/tablet.
- Reboot into recovery (if you do not have a custom recovery, refer to our rooting guide).
- While in recovery, go to “Install zip from SD card -> Choose zip from SD card”.
- Search for zip file in the list, click on it and scroll down to “Yes”.
- The image should start flashing.
After it finishes with flashing process, it will open the Setup of the mod (the phone/tablet will not exit the recovery mode). This is where you will choose which features you want to install on your device. After you finish with the features, it will install them (this takes 1-2 minutes) and then, select the “Reboot Device” option. This is all there is to it.
The list of features this mod has is impressively long, here we will show you just some of them, a full list is available on the XDA forum:
- Faster internet browsing
- Better Battery consumption
- Miscellaneous kernel tweaks
- Ondemand governor tweaks
- Better jpg image quality
- Better camera recording quality
- Lock launcher in memory
- Battery savings
- Faster wifi connect/disconnect
- Overall smoothness improvements
An awesome tool for every Android user out there, but keep in mind that this mod is still in its infancy, and it might have a few bugs to iron out. But, when looking at all the things it offers, it’s something that can be overlooked. Have a look at the video above for more details. Great job, developers!