Lenovo S5 with 5.7-inch 18:9 Display and Face Unlock Goes Official in China
As anticipated, Lenovo has today resurrected its oddly inactive smartphone brand with the introduction of the S5 in China. The new budget smartphone features your usual specifications and features which includes a tall screen, face unlock, and a dual-camera setup on the rear. It starts at a price of 999 yuan ($157/Rs 10,289) for the 3GB RAM variant and goes all the way up to 1499 yuan ($236/Rs. 15,440) for the 128GB storage model.
The design seems largely inspired by OnePlus’ 5T from the antenna lines to the poking rear camera to the lava red color option (which Lenovo calls “flame red”, very original indeed). The specifications are rather standard as well. It features a 5.7-inch Full HD+ display on the front and is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 625 octa-core chipset. The internal storage varies from 32GB to 128GB and there are two RAM options as well — 3GB and 4GB. Out of the box, the Lenovo S5 runs on Android Oreo with the company’s own ZUI 3.7 skin on top.
The camera arrangement houses two 13-megapixel lenses on the back, one of which is a monochrome sensor and the other, a regular RGB one. Together, they should be able to produce relatively more accurate colors and depth-of-field effects. There’s a 16-megapixel selfie camera too. In addition to the rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, you can also unlock the Lenovo S5 with your face. The phone packs a 3000mAh battery which is not compatible with quick charging. Surprisingly, it comes with a USB Type-C port which is possibly a first for this price range.
The Lenovo S5 will be available in two colors — Midnight Black and Flame Red. It’s priced at 999 yuan ($157/Rs 10,289) for the 3GB RAM, 32GB storage variant, 1199 yuan ($189/Rs 12,349) for 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, and 1499 yuan ($236/Rs. 15,440) for 4GB RAM, 128GB onboard memory.
Lenovo S5 Specifications
- Dimensions: 154×73.5×7.8mm; Weight: 155g
- 5.7-inch (2160 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:9 display, 2.5D curved glass
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 14nm Octa-Core processor clocked at 2Ghz, Adreno 506 GPU
- 3/4GB RAM, 32/64GB storage, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 8.0 (Oreo) with ZUI 3.7
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD), 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, USB Type-C
- Rear Camera: 13MP (Monochrome) + 13MP (RGB), dual-tone LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture
- Front Camera: 16MP, f/2.0 aperture, 80.2-degree wide-angle lens
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3000mAh battery