Rooting in Android is similar to Jailbreaking in iOS. Rooting gives you access to core files and control over full system. Moreover you can install those apps which are not available on Android Market and also the ability to tweak the in-built apps like Calendar. Samsung Galaxy S i9000 is the new Android kid on the block and we already have a cool one-click option to root Samsung Galaxy S phone!
Some members at forum-xda have developed a windows tool which can root Samsung Galaxy S i9000 in one click. This tool works for 2.1 Eclair and 2.2 Froyo and guess what? It can even unroot your Samsung Galaxy S back to its original firmware, but that works only for 2.1 Eclair.
Root Samsung Galaxy S i9000
2. Download Dot net framework v4 if you don’t have already.
3. Enable USB Debugging mode. To do that, Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and check USB Debugging.
4. Download USB Device Drivers for Windows. Skip this step if you already have Samsung Kies.
5. Using the USB cable, connect your phone to your PC.
6. Launch Galaxy S I9000 One-Click Root executable from the downloaded tool.
7. Click on the button One click Root 2.1 (for Eclair) and One Click Root 2.2 (for Froyo)
8. Your Device will now restart automatically in recovery mode. Follow the instructions to apply update.zip and press Home key in middle bottom.
9. The phone will boot again and you will now have a rooted Samsung galaxy S i9000!
10. Look for “SuperUser Permission” app which confirms successful rooting.
In case you wish to unroot your device, then you will have to perform all the steps listed above and select the UnRoot option.