Nearly a year after its launch, Xiaomi’s Android One powered Mi A1 smartphone now has a successor. At an event in Madrid, Spain, the Chinese phone maker today introduced the highly rumored Mi A2 which, as the leaks suggested, is essentially a global variant of the Mi 6X which was launched months ago.
The Xiaomi Mi A2’s biggest highlight, of course, is the software. It comes preloaded with a stock build of Android 8.1 instead of the company’s own MIUI and will be one of the first Android phones to receive the forthcoming P update. As for the specifications, the Mi A2 is your usual 2018 mid-range smartphone.
The Xiaomi Mi A2 comes with a 5.99-inch Full HD+ screen which has an aspect ratio of 18:9. In addition, the phone is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 660 chipset, 4/6GB of RAM, 64/128GB of internal storage which can be expanded through a MicroSD card, and a 3010 mAh battery that does support Quick Charge 3.0.
On the rear, the Mi A2 has two camera sensors — a primary 12-megapixel f/1.75 lens and another 20-megapixel f/1.75 snapper for depth-sensing. For selfies, you’ll find a 20-megapixel sensor which also offers a Portrait Mode. The fingerprint sensor is situated on the back and the phone comes with a USB Type-C port. It’s also compatible with Dual 4G VoLTE and rocks an IR blaster at the top.
The Xiaomi Mi A2 is priced at 249 euros (~Rs 20,000) for the base 4GB RAM/32GB storage variant, 279 euros (~Rs 22,500) for 4GB/64GB, and 349 euros (~Rs 28,000) for 6GB/128GB. There are three color options — Black, Gold, and Blue. Sales commence from August 10th in Spain across Mi stores and other retail partners including Amazon.
Xiaomi Mi A2 Specifications
- Dimensions: 158.7×75.4×7.3mm; Weight: 168g
- 5.99-inch (2160×1080 pixels) Full HD+ display, 2.5D curved glass
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 14nm Octa-core Mobile Platform, Adreno 512 GPU
- 4/6GB RAM, 64/128GB storage, expandable through a MicroSD card
- Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Dual SIM, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, USB Type-C
- Rear Camera: 12-megapixel f/1.75 lens, LED flash, Sony IMX486 sensor, 1.25μm pixel size, 20-megapixel secondary f/1.75 camera Sony IMX376 sensor
- Front Camera: 20-megapixel, IMX376 sensor, soft LED flash
- USB Type-C, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 3010mAh (typical) / 2910mAh (minimum) battery, Quick Charge 3.0
Disclosure: The editor of the blog is in Madrid, Spain at the invitation of Xiaomi.