How to Install Google Camera (GCam Mod) on Poco X2 [Update: Gcam 7.3]
Get better pictures on Poco X2 with Gcam mod
It’s a known fact these days that Google Camera or GCam Mod improves the image output on almost every smartphone by multiple folds when compared to the stock camera app. It’s no different on the newly launched Poco X2 either.
The Poco X2 has a solid set of cameras, especially the primary 64MP Sony IMX 686 which produces images with a great amount of detail and punchy colors. Google Camera further improves the image output especially while clicking portrait pictures or selfies, and Night Sight performs better than the night mode on the stock camera app.
How to Install Google Camera Mod on Poco X2
Update: There is a newer version of GCam available for the Poco X2. Scroll down towards the end to find the download link.
If you take a lot of pictures, the Google Camera mod is something you will appreciate, so let’s see how to install it on the Poco X2.
- Download the APK file and the config file from here and move them to your phone’s internal storage. This the best available Gcam APK we have for the Poco X2 as of now. Since the device is new, not all features are functional as of now but as time progresses, there will be better versions and we will be updating the link accordingly.
- Make sure you have enabled “Install apps from external sources” from Settings before attempting to install the mod.
- Once enabled, you can tap on the downloaded APK file to install it.
- Head over to your file manager of choice and create a folder named “GCam7” in your internal storage. Within that folder, create another folder named “Configs”.
- Next, copy the downloaded config file which is in .xml format to the “Configs” folder which was created in the previous step.
- Open the Google Camera app and double tap on the black region between the shutter button and the gallery icon at the bottom.
- You will see a dialogue box in which the downloaded config file would be selected. Hit ‘Restore’ and once done, exit the app.
- Restart the Google Camera app, and you now have a working G Cam Mod on your Poco X2.
- Now, this mod has support for Astrophotography and it is enabled by default. So, if you want to take normal pictures in the Night Sight Mode, head over to the app’s settings and disable Astrophotography mode. You can always enable it back when you want to use it.
We will leave you with some sample pictures shot using the Poco X2 using the stock camera and the GCam mod. As you can see, the difference is quite evident.
[Update] Download GCam 7.3 for Poco X2
GCam version 7.3 is now available to download for the Poco X2 which adds some additional functionality like dual exposure control and some added stability. You can download the apk from here. Note that you do not need a config file for this version. However, if you face and instability or unsatisfactory output, you can use the config file to see if it makes a difference. If you have an older version of GCam installed already, make sure you clear data and cache of that app and uninstall it before installing this one.