While we are still far off from seeing 5G networks in full swing, OEMs and chipmakers appear to be in a race to bombard the space with 5G-enabled smartphones. Both major players in this space, Qualcomm and MediaTek, have over the past few months, announced various 5G-enabled chipsets — particularly for the flagship-level smartphones — and now, are targeting the upcoming mid-range space. The latest offering for the same comes from MediaTek, which has today announced the Dimnesity 720 5G chipset that promises to deliver premium 5G experience on mid-tier smartphones. Here’s all you need to know about the latest SoC from MediaTek.
For the uninitiated, MediaTek already offers a range of 5G-enabled chipsets — from the 1000 series to the mid-tier 800 and 700 series. And the all-new Dimensity 720 joins this 5G-chipset family.
MediaTek Dimensity 720: Specs/Features
1. The Dimensity 720 is built on the 7nm node, similar to the 800 series, and comes equipped with an integrated 5G modem. MediaTek suggests the 720 to be the most efficient 5G chip, with MediaTek’s very own UltraSave technology offering extra power-saving features and helping in extending the battery life. At its core, the chipset features an octa-core CPU with 2x ARM Cortex-A76 cores with max clock speeds of up to 2GHz and 6x ARM Cortex-A55 with clock speeds up to 2GHz. In addition, the Dimensity 720 features an ARM Mali G57 MC3 GPU, to aid with graphics processing.
2. Besides the CPU and GPU, the Dimensity 720 features support for LPDDR4X memory up to 2133MHz and UFS 2.2 storage, to deliver faster and smoother performance while playing games, doing multitasking, and performing other resource-intensive tasks.
3. Talking about the USP of the chipset — 5G connectivity — the Dimensity 720 supports two carrier aggregation (2CC CA), along with SA (Standalone) and NSA (Non-Standalone) sub-6GHz networks. Not to mention, it also offers 5G and 4G dual SIM dual standby (DSDS) to provide better connectivity options.
As mentioned earlier, Dimensity 720 also comes with MediaTek’s 5G UltraSave technology, which, according to the company, helps minimize power consumption and extend battery life. For this, the 5G modem automatically reacts to the data requirements of whatever it is that the user is trying to access/download to dynamically adjust the power requirements, and in turn, cut it down depending on the usage.
4. One of the most requested and highly-marketed features on smartphones these days is the high refresh rate display. From 90Hz all the way up to 144Hz, brands are pushing the limits to offer a smoother experience. With Dimensity 720, MediaTek is bringing in support for the 90Hz refresh rate. So now, the mid-range devices can squeeze more out of their displays to aid with faster and smoother scrolling and animations.
5. With regards to the display, Dimensity 720 offers video streaming capabilities with the MiraVision HDR10+ video playback, which brings along a range of features to enhance HDR10+ content playback with MiraVision HDR10+ video playback that includes HDR10+ Enhanced with ‘Local Tone Mapping’ and real-time HDR10+ quality
6. Moving to another crucial element — cameras. The Dimensity 720 chipset offers support for quad cameras, with up to a large 64MP sensor, or a 16MP equivalent that comes with quad-pixel binning. Or, it can support dual-cameras in 20+16MP configuration. Besides, the chipset also promises to aid with offering better bokeh, noise reduction, facial detection, and a few other enhancements.
7. For connectivity, Dimensity 720 provides support for dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 5.1. Moreover, it also comes with GPS, Glonass, Beidou, and Galileo, for navigation.
MediaTek Dimensity 720: Availability
As per the company, the all-new Dimensity 720 SoC will be powering the upcoming mid-range smartphones in North America, Europe, and Asia. Although, as of now, there is no roadmap on when the chipset will make its first appearance.