How to Rip and Digitize Any DVDs on Computer for Free
Best DVD Ripping Tool
- If you’re holding onto your old DVD collection of music, movies, or TV shows in the hopes of finding the right DVD ripping tool to rip them, look no further.
- WinX DVD Ripper is a free DVD ripping software that helps you rip your DVDs to recover and convert their contents into more digital-friendly formats that can run on modern devices like Android phones, iPhones, TVs, gaming consoles, etc.
- Some of the advantages WinX DVD Ripper has over its competitors include level-3 hardware acceleration, extensive file format support, the ability to access content from unreadable discs, and a built-in video editor.
If you’re a part of the generation that has witnessed the digital transformation and seen tech evolve into its current state, you’re probably familiar with CDs and DVDs. Or perhaps you’re even holding onto some for your collection of old music, movies, or TV shows in the hopes of finding the right DVD ripping tool to rip them so you can store or play them on your favorite device.
Although you may find several DVD rippers for this task these days, not all of them are as reliable or effective as they claim to be. Plus, some of them have several limitations, which makes them ineffective and unreliable on the whole.
WinX DVD Ripper comes as an exception, though. It’s a free DVD ripper that lets you rip your old DVDs into various desired formats, which can then be stored or played back on modern devices like computers, Android phones, iPhones, gaming consoles, etc.
So, if you’ve got some DVDs to rip, here’s a rundown of all the features of WinX DVD Ripper and the steps to use it to convert the content of your DVDs into more digital-friendly formats.
What Is WinX DVD Ripper?
WinX DVD Ripper is one of the best DVD ripping software for Windows. It’s free to use and helps you convert the contents of your DVD to MP4, AVI, and other popular video formats supported by devices like your Android, iPhone, iPad, gaming console (PlayStation and Xbox), etc.
Additionally, besides ripping DVDs, the software also doubles up in functionality and can also be used to carry out other actions such as backup, editing, and social sharing.
Among the features that set apart WinX DVD Ripper from other ripping tools is that it can even recover data from damaged DVDs. Similarly, another distinctive addition to the software is support for level-3 hardware acceleration and can convert a full disc into its digital counterpart in around 5 minutes, granted your PC has decent specs and supports hardware acceleration.
Since speed is a significant factor to consider when choosing a DVD ripping tool, the support for level-3 hardware acceleration gives WinX’s offering an extra edge over other DVD ripping programs in this facet.
What Does WinX DVD Ripper Offer?
WinX DVD Ripper offers a number of useful features that make it a promising DVD ripping tool compared to some of the other programs out there. The following list highlights some of these top features you can take advantage of in your usage to get more out of the software.
1. Quick and Accurate Ripping
Featuring support for level-3 hardware acceleration, the WinX DVD Ripper can better utilize the CPU and GPU of your machine for quick and efficient DVD video processing. As per the company’s claims, this allows the software to reach 47x faster conversion speeds—up to 500fps with compatible hardware.
In addition, the support for an MMX- SSE & 3DNow!-based engine brings faster DVD ripping speeds, which allows you to rip a feature-length DVD movie in around 5 minutes while keeping the quality and aspect ratio of the image intact.
2. Extensive Support for File Formats and Platforms
WinX DVD Ripper can help you convert your DVD files into a whole bunch of popular file formats, such as AVI, MP4, H.264, HEVC, MPEG, and WMV, to name a few.
Additionally, it also features support for 350+ profiles, which cover an entire spectrum of devices, including Android, iPhone, iPad, Chromecast, gaming consoles (PlayStation and Xbox), etc. So you can directly rip your DVD files into a compatible format for any of these devices right from the software. Plus, there’s also the ability to rip movies directly for social sharing.
3. Ability to Clone DVDs Without Losing Quality
Besides ripping DVDs, the WinX DVD Ripper also lets you clone your DVDs and copy their entire content to MPEG2 format while preserving video and audio quality. It even promises to keep your 5.1 channel AC3/DTS Dolby audio intact during the copying process.
4. Ability to Access Content from All Types of DVDs
Since DVDs haven’t existed for almost a decade now, it’s likely that some of them in your collections may not work today—probably because of scratches, bad sectors, or some other damage.
WinX DVD Ripper ensures that you can recover contents from even such DVDs with no problem. So you can practically use any of your DVDs (DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW) with it to recover their content.
Additionally, the software also supports 99-title DVDs to let you access and copy contents over from copy-protected DVDs, as well.
5. On-the-fly Editing Capabilities
One of the valuable additions to WinX DVD Ripper that further adds to the software’s usability is the built-in video editor, which lets you enhance your DVD movies before saving them on your computer. A few of the supported editing options include cropping, trimming, and cutting and merging video clips.
In addition, you can also add subtitles to your videos right within the app.
6. Ability to Adjust Content Parameters
Lastly, WinX DVD Ripper also comes with a few advanced features. One such is the ability to adjust certain parameters of your content to tailor it to your requirements. Some of these parameters you can tweak include bitrate, frame rate, aspect ratio, audio codec, audio channel, and sample rate.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 Using WinX DVD Ripper
Although the WinX DVD Ripper can perform a host of operations, for the purpose of this guide, we’ll stick to converting DVD movies to MP4 since that’s probably the most common use-case for which you might want to use this software.
- Insert the DVD disc into your computer or external DVD reader.
- Once loaded, run WinX DVD Ripper.
- Hit the Disc button from the top menu, and on the pop-up window, choose your DVD drive and hit OK.
- In the Output Profile window, pick your desired output format: you can either do this by selecting a file format under General Profiles or selecting a device under Device Profile.
- With the desired output profile selected, hit OK.
- If your device supports hardware acceleration, click off the Intel or NVIDIA option adjacent to Hardware Accelerator.
- Enable the Use High Quality Engine and Deinterlacing options to rip with minimum quality loss.
- Click on the Browse button at the bottom to choose the destination folder to store your DVD’s content.
- Tap on the RUN button to start ripping the DVD.
- In case you encounter any problems during the process, enable Safe Mode to proceed safely. Do note that this might take longer to rip your DVD than the normal mode.
Digitize Your DVDs With WinX DVD Ripper
Now that you have an idea of WinX DVD Ripper’s offerings, you can follow the steps above to rip your old DVDs and convert their contents into a more digital-friendly format that can be run on computers, smartphones, tablets, TVs, and consoles without having to spend a penny.
Yes, that’s right. WinX DVD Ripper is a freeware that bundles pretty much all the features that you’d find on some of the paid ripping tools under its free plan. If required, you have an option to unlock additional features by purchasing a license code for the software’s premium version. However, in our opinion, the free version should suffice most of your DVD ripping and conversion needs.